Home > Archives > IJSRST173638
A Novel Approach to Food Waste Management
Authors(1) :-Soujanya V. Kivadanavar
The present study evaluates the problems associated with the solid waste management. For better processing of garbage the waste disposal machine was fabricated. The garbage processing unit developed intends to reduce the size and dry the final product there by reducing problems of disposing the garbage. A prototype model was designed and fabricated which consists of dewatering unit, size reduction unit and heating unit. The benefit of model is ease of handling of garbage due to reduction in mass, resulting in reduced handling costs. Moreover drying prevents microbial growth and disintegrates the food waste. The present study identified the parameter necessary to shorten the time to reach the thermophilic temperatures and this technology was evaluated under batch flow operating conditions. The food waste was collected and was operated mechanically using the food waste processing machine. The laboratory analysis was carried out and the process was optimized the temperature at 100?C with the retention time of 90 minutes. The dewatering process helped in the reducing the time and temperature required for the drying of garbage. The results showed reduction in moisture content of food waste after treatment. The food waste processing machine achieved volume reduction efficiency of 85-90%. From this study, it appears that the use of this fabricated machine may be viable alternative for food waste disposal.
Fabrication, Processing, Disposal, Disintegration, Thermophilic
- T. Kaosol, "Sustainable Solutions for Municipal Solid Waste Management in Thailand", World Acad Sci Eng Technol., 2009, vol.60, pp.665-670.
- J. I. Chang, "Effects of compositions on food waste composting", Bioresour Technol., 2008, vol.90, pp.8068-8074.
- R. Zhang, "Characterization of food waste as feedstock for anaerobic digestion", Bioresour Technol., 2007, vol.98, pp.929-935.
- B. Buchner, C. Fischler, "Food waste: causes, impacts and proposals", Barilla Center for Food and Nutrition. 2012, pp.17-119.
- G. H. Sabin Guendehou, "Incineration and open burning of waste", IPCC Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories., 2006, vol.5.
- http://shodhganga.inflibnet.sc.in/bitstream/10603/77482/1/phd%20thesis%20of%20nitin %20pandit_c1.pdf.
- R. Satyanarayana, S. Dev, G. Vijaya, S. Raghavan, "Advancements in Drying Techniques? for Food, Fiber, and Fuel, Drying Technology", Drying? Technol. 2012, vol.30, pp. 1147- 1159.
- J. Ariunbaatar, A. Panico, G.Esposito, F.Pirozzi, N.L. Lens, "Pretreatment methods to enhance anaerobic digestion of organic solid waste", Appl. Energy. 2014, vol.123, pp. 143?156.
- N. Sailesh, V. Shinde, "Home Composter Domestic Use Composter", World congress on Sustainable Technology (WCST). 2015, pp. 130-132.
- C. Sundberg, D. Yu, I. Franke-Whittle, S. Kauppi, "Effects of pH and microbial composition on odour in food waste composting", Waste Manage. 2013, vol. 33, pp. 204?211.
- T. Rocky, M. Islam, U. Saha, "Resource Recovery Potential from Kitchen Waste", Int. C.? Green. Energ. Technol. 2014, pp. 18-21.
- J. I. Chang, J.J. Tsai, K.H. Wu, "Thermophilic Composting of Food Waste", Bioresour. Technol.2006, vol. 97, pp. 116?122.
- D. R. Smith, D. L. Cawthon, J. J. Sloan, T.M. Freeman, "In-vessel, Mechanical Rotating Drum Composting of Institutional Food Residuals", Compost Sci. Util. 2013, vol.14:2, pp. 155-161.
- Y. Li, Y. Jin, J. Li, Y. Chen, Y. Gong, "Current Situation And Development Of Kitchen?? Waste Treatment In China", Procedia Environ Sci. 2016, vol. 31, pp. 40-49.
- S. Kwon, D. Lee, "Evaluation of Korean Food Waste Composting With Fed-Batch Operations I: Using Water Extractable Total Organic Carbon Contents (Tocw)", Process Biochem. 2004, vol. 39, pp. 1183?1194.
- M. Griffin, J. Sobal, T. A. Lyson, "An analysis of community food waste stream", Agric Hum Values. 2009, vol. 26, pp. 67?81.
- ?Municipal solid waste compost, manure grade ? specification, 2013.
- X. Font, A. Artola, A. Sanchez, "Detection, Composition and Treatment of Vlatilr Organic Compounds from Waste Treatment Plants", ISSN, vol. 11, pp. 1424-8220.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 6 | July-August 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-08-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 184-187
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173638
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Soujanya V. Kivadanavar, "A Novel Approach to Food Waste Management", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 6, pp.184-187 , July-August-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173638