Home > Archives > IJSRST173682
Phonon Controlled Temperature Dependence of Electron Mobility in 2DEG of GaAs Surface Layer
Authors(1) :-A. K. Ghorai
The acoustic phonon limited zero-field mobility of free electrons is estimated in a degenerate two dimensional elec¬tron gas (2DEG) formed in semiconductor interface considering the effect of screening of the free carriers and the true phonon distribution which are indeed dominant characteristics of electron-phonon scattering at low lat¬tice temperatures. Numerical calculations are made to observe the effect of screening on mobility values in GaAs surface layer and the result obtained here is compared with available experimental data and other theoretical result.
Semiconductor, 2DEG, Mobility, Phonon, Screening.
- H. L. Stormer, Electron mobilities in modulation-doped GaAs-(AlGa)As heterostructure, Surf. Sci., 132(1-3), pp.519-526, 1983.
- F. Stern and W. E. Howard, Properties of semicon-ductor surface inversion layers in the electric quantum limit, Phys. Rev., 163(3), pp. 816-835, 1967.
- T. Ando, A. B. Fowler and F. Stern, Electronic properties of two-dimensional systems, Rev. Mod. Phys., 54(2), pp. 437-672, 1982.
- T. Sah, T. N. Ning and L. T. Tschopp, The scattering of electrons by surface oxide charges and by lattice vibrations at the silicon-silicon dioxide interface, Surf. Sci., 32(3), pp. 561- 575, 1972.
- Y. Wu and G. Thomas, Two-dimensional electron-lattice scattering in thermally oxidized silicon surface-inversion layers, Phys. Rev. B, 9(4), pp. 1724-1732, 1974.
- C. Jacoboni and L. Reggiani, The Monte Carlo method for the solution of charge transport in semiconductors with applications to covalent materials, Rev. Mod. Phys., 55(3), pp. 645-705, 1983.
- A. K. Ghorai and D. P. Bhattacharya, Effect of non-parabolic band on the scattering rates of free electrons in high purity semiconductors at low lattice temperatures, phys. stat. sol.(b), 163, pp. 247-258, 1991.
- A. K. Ghorai and D. P. Bhattacharya, Effect of finite-energy acoustic phonons on the zero-field mobility characteristics of high-purity semiconductors at low lattice temperatures, Phys. Rev. B, 47(20), pp.13858-13860, 1993.
- A. K. Ghorai and D. P. Bhattacharya, Electron transport in GaAs at low lattice temperatures, phys. stat. sol.(b), 197, pp. 125-136, 1996.
- A. K. Ghorai and D. P. Bhattacharya, Lattice-controlled electron transport characteristics in quantized surface layers at low temperature, Surf. Sci., 380(2-3), pp. 293-301, 1997.
- L. Reggiani, Hot-Electron Transport in Semicon-ductors, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1985.
- B. R. Nag, Electron Transport in Compound Semi-conductors, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1980.
- A. K. Ghorai and D. P. Bhattacharya, Lattice-controlled mobility in quantized surface layers at low temperature, J. Appl. Phys., 80(5), pp.3130-3132, 1996.
- A. K. Ghorai, Effect of Screening on Acoustic Phonon Limited Electron Mobility in Quantized Surface Layer in Semiconductor, IJSETR, 2(7), pp.1453-1457, 2013.
- A. K. Ghorai, Acoustic Phonon Limited Cross Section for the Capture of an Electron by an Attractive Trap in Semiconductor Inversion Layer, IJSR, 4(2), pp. 1837-1840, 2015.
- A. K. Ghorai, Field-Dependent Electron Temperature due to Electron–Phonon Interaction in a 2DEG at Low Lattice Temperature, J. Atoms and Molecules, 7(3), pp. 1056-1062, 2017.
- A. K. Ghorai, Lattice controlled hot electron mobility in 2DEG at low temperature, IJSER, 5(7), pp.195-198, 2017.
- H. L. Stormer, L. N. Pfeiffer, K. W. Baldwin and K. W. West, Observation of a Bloch-Grüneisen regime in two-dimensional electron transport, Phys. Rev. B, 41(2), pp.1278-1281, 1990.
- Y. Shinba and K. Nakamura, Phonon-limited electron mobility in Si(100) inversion layer at low temperatures, J. Phys. Soc. Japan, 50(1), pp.114-120, 1981.
- X. L. Lei, J. L. Birman and C. S. Ting, Two dimensional balance equations in nonlinear electronic transport and application to GaAs-GaAlAs hetero-junctions, J. Appl. Phys. 58(6), pp.2270-2279, 1985.
- J. Shah, Hot carriers in semiconductor nanostructures: physics and applications, Academic Press Inc, New York, 1992.
- P. J. Price, Two-dimensional electron transport in semi-conductor layers II: Screening, J. Vac. Sci. Technol., 19(3), pp.599-603, 1981.
- W. Walukiewicz, H. E. Ruda, J. Lagowski, and H. C. Gatos, Electron mobility in modulation doped hetero-structures, Phys. Rev. B, 30(8), pp. 4571, 1984.
- E. Vass, R. Lassnig, and E. Gormic, Proc of workshop on IVth international conference of electronic properties of 2D systems, New London, USA, 24-28 Aug. 1981.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 6 | July-August 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-08-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 281-287
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173682
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
A. K. Ghorai, "Phonon Controlled Temperature Dependence of Electron Mobility in 2DEG of GaAs Surface Layer", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 6, pp.281-287, July-August-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173682