Home > Archives > IJSRST173684
Performance Evaluation of CI Engine Using Cottonseed Oil as an Alternate Fuel
Authors(3) :-Milind A. Pelagade, Madhavi S. Harne, Dr. Ramakant Shrivastava
Biodiesel is the alternative fuel that is produced from renewable resources. It is being extensively used around the world thus making it incumbent to fully understand its effects on the combustion process in CI Engine and formation of pollutants. It is the mono-alkyl ester of long chain fatty acids derived from renewable feedstock such as vegetable oils or animal fats. The present study depicts, the performance analysis and exhaust gas analysis of single cylinder water cooled diesel engine different blends of Cottonseed oil (B10, B20, and B30) which were compared for both performance characteristics with pure Diesel. The performance was evaluated for the parameters viz. Break Thermal Efficiency, Break Specific Fuel Consumption, Air Fuel Ratio, Exhaust Gas Temperature, Smoke Opacity and Volumetric Efficiency against different loads. It was found that blends of the methyl ester used in present study can be used as an alternative fuel without any engine modification.
Milind A. Pelagade, Madhavi S. Harne, Dr. Ramakant Shrivastava
Biodiesel, Alternative Fuel, Diesel Engine, Performance, Emissions.
- Preparation and Characterization of Biodiesel from Non-Edible Oils, Saroj Kumar Padhi
- S.N. Naik, Vaibhav V. Goud, Prasant K. Rout b, Ajay K. Dalai (2010), Production of first and second generation biofuels: A comprehensive review, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 14,578-597. doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2009.10.003.
- M. Fatih Demirbas (2006): Current Technologies for Biomass Conversion into Chemicals and Fuels, Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects, 28:13, 1181-1188. dx.doi.org/10.1080/00908310500434556.
- Umer Rashid, Farooq Anwar, Gerhard Knothe (2009), Evaluation of biodiesel obtained from cottonseed oil, Fuel Processing Technology 90, 1157–1163. doi.org/10.1016/j.fuproc.2009.05.016
- Geyer S M, Jacobus M J, Lestz S S. Comparison of diesel engine performance and emissions from Neat and trans-esterfied vegetable oils. ASAE 1984; 27(2):375–84.
- Ilkılıç C, Yu cesu H S (2002), The effect of cottonseed oil methyl ester diesel fuel blends on the performance of a diesel engine. Journal of Fırat University Natural and Engineering Sciences; 14(1):199–205.
- Carraretto C, Macor A, Mirandola A, Stoppato A, Tonon S. (2004), Biodiesel as alternative fuel: experimental analysis and energetic evaluations, Energy; 29: 2195–211. doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2004.03.042
- Rakopoulos C D, Antonopoulos K A, Hountalas D T, Giakoumis E G (2006), Comparative performance and emissions study of a direct injection diesel engine using blends of diesel fuel with vegetable oils or bio-diesels of various origins, Energy Conversion and Management; 47:3272–87. doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2006.01.006
- A.Rama Krishna, B.Prabakaran, Performance and Emission Characteristics of Cottonseed Oil Methyl Ester in a Diesel Engine, International Journal of Engineering Sciences & Research Technology”, ISSN: 2277-9655.
- G. Radha Krishna, K. Mohan Kumar, K. Syam Kumar, Sk. Khadarmastan (2016), Performance Evaluation of 4 Stroke Single Cylinder VCR Diesel Engine Using Cotton Seed oil Methyl Ester Blend, International Journal Of Innovative Research & Development, ISSN 2278 – 0211 (Online).
- E.Sreedhar , S.Rajpal Singh , Dr. M.V. Satish Kumar, R. Venumadhav (2016), Effect of Compression Ratio on Performance of Single Cylinder Four Stroke Diesel Engine with Cotton Seed Oil Blends, International Journal of Engineering and Management Research, Volume-6, Issue-4, 35-45.
- Sandeep Singh, Sumeet Sharma& S.K. Mohapatra (2015), A Production of Biodiesel from Waste Cotton Seed Oil And Testing on Small Capacity Diesel Engine, International Journal of Advance Research In Science And Engineering, Vol. No.4, Special Issue (02), ISSN-2319-8354.
- Hu seyin Aydin, Hasan Bayindir (2010), Performance and emission analysis of cottonseed oil methyl ester in a diesel engine, Renewable Energy 35,588–592. doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2009.08.009.
- Yu CW, Bari S, Ameen AA. (2002), Comparison of combustion characteristics of waste cooking oil with diesel as fuel in a direct injection diesel engine. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering; 216:237–43.
- Muralidharan K, Vasudevan D, Sheeba K N (2011), Performance emission and combustion characteristics of biodiesel fuelled variable compression engine, Energy:36(8):5385-93. doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2011.06.050
- Hwai Chyun Ong, H.H.Masjuki, T.M.I. Mahlia, A.S.Silitonga, W.T.Chong, Talal Yusaf (2014), Engine performance and emissions using Jatropha curcas,Ceiba pentandra and Calophyllum and inophyllum biodiesel in a CI diesel engine, Energy: 1-19. doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2014.03.035
- Mofijur M, Masjuki H H ,Kalam M A, Atabani A E, Fattah IM R, Mobarak H M (2014), Comparitive evaluation of performance and emission characteristics of Moringaoleifera and Palm oil based biodiesel in a diesel engine, Industrial Crop Products 53,78-84. doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2013.12.011
- How H G, Teoh Y H, Masjuki H H, Kalam M A (2012), Impact of coconut oil blends on particulate phase PAHs and regulated emissions from a light duty diesel engine, Energy, 48(1):500-9. doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2012.10.009
- Anabarasu Augustine, Loganathan Marimuthu, Saravanan Muthusamy (2012), Performance and evaluation of DI engine using preheated cottonseed oil methyl ester, Procedia Engineering 38,779-790. doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2012.06.098
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 6 | July-August 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-08-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 288-293
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173684
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Milind A. Pelagade, Madhavi S. Harne, Dr. Ramakant Shrivastava, "Performance Evaluation of CI Engine Using Cottonseed Oil as an Alternate Fuel", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 6, pp.288-293, July-August-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173684