Home > Archives > IJSRST173726
Study of Wear Properties of SiC Particulates And E-GLASS Fibers Reinforced AL-3003 Hybrid MMCs
Authors(5) :-Lakshmi Narayana K S, Ravikumara S Biradara, Dr. H K Shivanand, Bylappa B k, Rakshit Divakar Naik
Composite materials play a vital role at the present modern industrial sectors. Preparations of metal-matrix composites are light weighted, high strength, extremely hard materials which were useful for every industrious area like aerospace, motor vehicle industries, mechanical tools manufacturing industries due to its advantageous properties like light in weight, flexibility, hardness, simplicity and easily applicable and so on. At the centre of research and growth of these sectors this paper emphasizes the production of metal-matrix Al-SiC & E-Glass composites using the stir-casting method and prepared sample of varying percentile compositions of SiC & E-Glasss with aluminium. Presently these samples are tested under the wear test. In the present investigation a study on wear behavior of Aluminium metal matrix composite reinforced with SiC and E-glass (produced by stir casting process) has been carried out. In this study wear performance is carried out by varying the percentage of reinforcements in the matrix. All experiments were conducted under room temperature condition. To assess the wear characteristics of aluminium alloy 3003 with SiC & E-glass a computerized pin â€“ on â€“ disc machine was used. The specimen was studied under scanning electron microscope to get an idea about the distribution of pattern of the reinforcement in the matrix alloy and effect of these reinforcements on the wear behavior of the composites. Dispersion of reinforcements in the aluminium matrix improves the wear behavior of the composites.
Lakshmi Narayana K S, Ravikumara S Biradara, Dr. H K Shivanand, Bylappa B k, Rakshit Divakar Naik
E-Glass Fiber, Silicon Carbide, Aluminium 3003 Alloy, Stir Casting.
- Introduction to Composites and History of Composites, 2001. Composites, Volume 21 of ASM Handbook,
- Srivatsan T.S., Al-Hajri M., Petraroli M., Hotton B., Lam P.C., “Influence of silicon carbide particulate reinforcement on quasi static and cyclic fatigue fracture behavior of 6061 Aluminium alloy composites” Materials Science and Engineering A325 (2002) 202-214
- Beatrice Lay, Mourice Boivin, Materials Processing Technology, 55 (1995) 261-267
- Lloyd D.J. Acta Metal Mater (1991) 39 59
- Whitehouse, F.F. Clyne, T.W. Acta Metall mater, (1993) 41:1701
- Ribes, H., Da Silva, R., Suery, M, Bretheau, T., Mater Sci. Technol. (1990) 6:621
- Jatitz, Whittenberger,J.D. 1990, in Solid State Powder Processing, ed. A.H.Clauer & J.J. deBarbadillo. The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society, Warrendale PA, pp 137.
- Berghezan, Stoloff, N.S. & Alman, D.E. , 1990, In Intermetallic Matrix Composites vol.194, ed. D.L. Anton et al. Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh, PA, p. 31.
- J.A.E. Bell, A.E.F Warner, and T.F. Stephenson, 1996,Processing, Properties, and Applications of Cast Metal Matrix Composites, P. Rohatgi, Ed., TMS, , p 247
- D.M. Miller, Glass Fibers, Composites, Vol 1, 1987, Engineered Materials Handbook, ASM International, , p 45?48
- K. Shariq, E. Anderson, and M. Yamaki, “Carbon Fibers,” July 1999, Chemical Economics Handbook Market Research Report, SRI International, Menlo Park, CA,
- F.L.Metthess and R.D.Rawlings,1985, Composite Materials Engineering and Science, Wood Head Publishing Ltd. 3rd Edition, pp ? 24.
- S.M. Lee (Ed), 1990-92,Int. Encyclopedia of Composites, Vol. 1-4, VCH, N.Y,? Pp 23-32.
- SF Hassan, KF Ho, M Gupta, Synthesis of high-performance magnesium/Cu, Ni, Ti composites, Materials Technology, 17, pp 224-228, 2002
- SF Hassan, M Gupta, Development of high strength magnesium based composites using elemental nickel particulates as reinforcement, Journal of Materials Science, 37, pp 2467-2474, 2002 Shyong Shyong J.H et al, Materials Science & Engineering A: Structural Materials; properties, Microstructure and processing, Vol.A197, N 1, Jun 30 1995, pp 11-18.
- Cui Y Geng Cui Y Geng, journal of Materials Science Letters Vol. 16, N10, May 15 1997, pp.788-790.
- Davies CHJ Davies C.H.J, Journal of Materials Processing Technology Vol.62, N1-3, Nov 1996.pp 225-228.
- G. B. Veeresh Kumar, C. S. P. Rao, N. Selvaraj, M. S. Bhagyashekar, 2010 “Studies on Al6061-SiC andAl7075-Al2O3 Metal Matrix Composites”, Journal of Minerals & Materials Characterization & Engineering, Volume 9, pp.43-55.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 7 | September-October 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-10-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 363-369
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173726
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Lakshmi Narayana K S, Ravikumara S Biradara, Dr. H K Shivanand, Bylappa B k, Rakshit Divakar Naik, "Study of Wear Properties of SiC Particulates And E-GLASS Fibers Reinforced AL-3003 Hybrid MMCs", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 7, pp.363-369, September-October-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173726