Home > Archives > IJSRST173733
Mitigation of Harmonic Current Using Active Filter with Fuzzy Control in Distribution System
Authors(2) :-N. Gurumohan Reddy, Dr. K. Jithendra Gowd
Maintaining voltages within tolerable limits is of prime importance in distribution system . Voltage distortion due to harmonics is main concern which affects the distribution voltages to fall out of limits. A shunt connected active filter with Fuzzy logic controller is able to suppress harmonic resonance within the distribution facility. However, inherent phase-lagging in digital signal processing of active filter affects its functioning which might induce unintentional harmonic amplification at alternative locations within the feeder . This paper presents an active filter with fuzzy control to suppress harmonic resonance.. The current control is realized by parallel-connected band pass filters tuned at harmonic frequencies to ensure that the active filter functions as an approximately pure conductance. The electrical phenomenon at dominant harmonic frequencies is individually and dynamically adjusted to ensure the damping performance. Additionally, so as to handle the harmonic resonance, the load distributed-parameter model of a radial feeder is developed with considering harmonic damping by variable electrical phenomenon and admittance, separately. Simulation results show that the active filter with fuzzy control will effectively reduce voltage harmonic distortions. Simulation was done by using MATLAB/Simulink software
N. Gurumohan Reddy, Dr. K. Jithendra Gowd
Active filter, harmonic resonance, voltage distortion, Fuzzy Control
- Tzung-Lin Lee and? Shang-Hung Hu, "An Active Filter With Resonant Current Control to Suppress Harmonic Resonance in a Distribution Power System" IEEE journal of emerging and selected topics in power electronics, vol. 4, no. 1, march 2016
- W. K. Chang, W. M. Grady, and M. J. Samotyj, "Meeting IEEE-519 harmonic voltage and voltage distortion constraints with an active power line conditioner," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 1531-1537, Jul. 1994.
- E. J. Currence, J. E. Plizga, and H. N. Nelson, "Harmonic resonance at a medium-sized industrial plant," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 682-690, May/Jun. 1995.
- H. Akagi, "Control strategy and site selection of a shunt active filter for damping of harmonic propagation in power distribution system," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 354-363, Jan. 1997.
- C.-H. Hu, C.-J. Wu, S.-S. Yen, Y.-W. Chen, B.-A. Wu, and J.-S. Hwang, "Survey of harmonic voltage and current at distribution substation in northern taiwan," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 354-363, July 1997.
- Y. D. Lee, C. S. Chen, C. T. Hsu, and H. S. Cheng, "Harmonic analysis for distribution system with dispersed generation systems," in International Conference on Power System Technology, 2006, pp. 1-6.
- V. Corasaniti, M. Barbieri, P. Arnera, and M. Valla, "Reactive and harmonics compensation in a medium voltage distribution network with active filters," in IEEE/ISIE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, 2007, pp. 916-921.
- IEEE Recommended practices and requirements for harmonic control in electrical power systems, IEEE Std. 519-1992, 1993.
- H. Akagi, H. Fujita, and K. Wada, "A shunt active filter based on voltage detection for harmonic termination of a radial power distribution line," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., pp. 638-645, May/Jun. 1999.
- K. Wada, H. Fujita, and H. Akagi, "Considerations of a shunt active filter based on voltage detection for installation on a long distribution feeder," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., pp. 1123-1130, Jul./Aug. 2002.
- P. Jintakosonwit, H. Fujita, H. Akagi, and S. Ogasawara, "Implementation and performance of cooperative control of shunt active filters for harmonic damping throughout a power distribution system," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 556-564, Mar./Apr. 2003.
- M. Saito, T. Takeshita, and N. Matsui, "Modeling and harmonic suppression for power distribution system," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 1148-1158, Dec. 2003.
- P.-T. Cheng and T.-L. Lee, "Distributed active filter systems (DAFSs): A new approach to power system harmonics," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 1301-1309, Sept./Oct. 2006.
- W. K. Chang and W. M. Grady, "Minimizing harmonic voltage distortion with multiple current-constrained active power line conditioners," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 837-843, Apr. 1997.
- K. Kennedy, G. Lightbody, R. Yacamini, M. Murray, and J. Kennedy, "Development of a network-wide harmonic control scheme using an active filter," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 1847-1856, Jul. 2007.
- I. Ziari and A. Jalilian, "A new approach for allocation and sizing of multiple active power-line conditioners," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 1026-1035, Apr. 2010
- X. Sun, J. Zeng, and Z. Chen, "Site selection strategy of single frequency tuned r-apf for background harmonic voltage damping in power systems," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 135- 143, Jan. 2013.
- P. Jintakosonwit, H. Fujita, and H. Akagi, "Control and performance of a full-digital-controlled shunt active filter for installation on a power distribution system," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 132-140, Jan. 2002.
- D. M. Brod and D. W. Novotny, "Current control of vsi-pwm inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 562-570, Jun. 1985.
- P. Mattavelli and F. P. Marafao, "Repetitive-based control for selective harmonic compensation in active power filters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 1018-1024, Oct. 2004.
- T. G. Habetler, "A space vector-based rectifier regulator for AC/DC/AC converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 30-36, Jan. 1993.
- T.-L. Lee, J.-C. Li, and P.-T. Cheng, "Discrete frequency tuning active filter for power system harmonics," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 1209-1217, May 2009.
- L. Asiminoaei, F. Blaabjerg, and S. Hansen, "Detection is key - harmonic detection methods for active power filter applications," IEEE Ind. Appl. Mag., vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 22-33, July/Aug. 2007.
- C. Lascu, L. Asiminoaei, and F. Blaabjerg, "High performance current controller for selective harmonic compensation in active power filters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 1826-1835, Sep. 2007.
- C. Lascu, L. Asiminoaei, I. Boldea, and F.Blaabjerg, "Frequency response analysis of current controllers for selective harmonic compensation in active power filters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 337-347, Feb. 2009.
- A. G. Yepes, F. D. Freijedo, J. Doval-Gandoy, O. Lopez, J. Malvar, and P. Fernandez-Comesa, "Effects of discretization methods on the performance of resonant controllers," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 1692-1712, Jul. 2010.
- Q.-N. Trinh and H.-H. Lee, "An advanced current control strategy for three-phase shunt active power filters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 60, no. 12, pp. 5400-5410, Dec. 2013.
- J. He, Y. W. Li, F. Blaabjerg, and X. Wang, "Active harmonic filtering using current-controlled, grid-connected dg units with closed-loop power control," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 642-653, Feb. 2014.
- T.-L. Lee and S.-H. Hu, "Design of resonant current regulation for discrete frequency tuning active filter," in Conf. Rec. IEEJ IPECSapporo, 2010.
- D. N. Zmood, D. G. Holmes, and G. H. Bode, "Frequency-domain analysis of three-phase linear current regulators," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 601-610, Mar./Apr. 2001.
- X. Yuan, W. Merk, H. Stemmler, and J. Allmeling, "Stationary-frame generalized integrators for current control of active power filters with zero steady-state error for current harmonics of concern under unbalanced and distorted operating conditions," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 523-532, Mar./Apr. 2002.
- J. Arrillaga, D. A. Bradley, and P. S. Bodger, Power System Harmonics. New York: Wiley, 1985.
- D. K. Cheng, Field and Wave Electromagnetics. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1989.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 7 | September-October 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-10-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 223-231
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173733
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
N. Gurumohan Reddy, Dr. K. Jithendra Gowd, "Mitigation of Harmonic Current Using Active Filter with Fuzzy Control in Distribution System", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 7, pp.223-231, September-October-2017.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173733