Home > Archives > IJSRST173746
Effect of Mineral Garnet Reinforced on the Tribological Properties of Composite at High Temperature
Authors(3) :-Anju Sharma, Rama Arora, Suresh Kumar
Aluminum alloys are widely used as engineering materials because of their high strength. Natural mineral garnet reinforced aluminum composite was developed using conventional stir casting technology. As Garnet refracting particles offer high mechanical strength and thermal stability so these are the potential reinforcement materials for the composite to be used for high temperature applications. The wear tests under the dry sliding were performed using pin on steel disc equipment at high load of 5 kg by varying the ambient temperature from 50?C to 300?C . Wear mode changes in the composites is observed beyond 200?C for higher loads due to delamination of oxide layer, which occurs by nucleation of crack in particle matrix interface and its consequent growth. The increase in amount of garnet particulate prevents the loss of material of the composite. The morphological studies of wear track and debris provide clues about the wear mechanism. It is observed that delamination is the primarily cause of the wear loss because of the dominance of the plastic deformation at high temperature.
Anju Sharma, Rama Arora, Suresh Kumar
SEM, Reinforced, Wear, MMC, Temperature
- Sudarshan, M. K Surappa. 'Dry sliding wear of fly ash particle reinforced A356 Al composites', Wear, 2008, 265, 349-360.
- S.C. Sharma, "The sliding wear behavior of Al6061?Garnet Particulate Composites”, Wear, 2001, 249; 1036-1045.
- 3 Du Jun, Liu Yao Hui, Yu Si Rong and Li Wen Fang, "Dry Sliding Friction and Wear? Properties of Al2O3 and Carbon Short Fibres Reinforced Al12Si Alloy Hybrid Composites”, Wear, 2004, 257; 930-940.
- D. K Dwivedi, 'Adhesive wear behavior of cast aluminium?silicon alloys: overview', Materials & Design, 2010, 31; 2517-2531.
- R. Arora, S. Kumar, G. Singh and O.P. Pandey, 'Influence of particle size and temperature on the wear properties of rutile-reinforced aluminium metal matrix composite', Journal of Composite Materials, 2014, doi: 10.1177/0021998314526079.
- ?S. Kumar, V. Sharma, R.S. Panwar, O.P. Pandey, 'Wear behavior of dual particle size (DPS) zircon sand reinforced aluminum alloy', Tribology Letters, 2012, 47; 231?251.
- P. Raghavendra, P.Nagarajan. 2017. Experimental Investigation of Fiber Reinforced Concrete Using Flyash. International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology. 2017, 3;1,? ISSN: 2395-6011, Online ISSN: 2395-602X
- J.Hashim, 'The production of cast metal matrix composite by a modified stir casting method', Jurnal Teknologi, 2001, 35(1);? 9-20.
- R. Arora, S. Kumar, G. Singh and O.P. Pandey, Role of Different Range of Particle Size on Wear Characteristics of Al-Rutile Composites, Particulate Science and TechnologyAn International Journal, DOI: 10.1080/02726351.2014.953648
- S. Wilson, and A. T. Alpas, 'Effect of temperature on the sliding wear performance of Al alloys and Al matrix composites', Wear, 1996, 196,? 270-278.
- A.G. Evans, J.W. Hutchinson. On the mechanics of delamination and spalling in compressed films. International Journal of Solids and Structures 1984, 20 (5); 455-466
- T. Murakami, S. Kajino, and S. Nakano, 'High-Temperature Friction and Wear Properties of Various Sliding Materials Against Aluminum Alloy 5052', Tribol. Int., 2013, 60, 45-52.
- G. Rajaram, S. Kumaran, R.T. Srinivasa. High temperature tensile and wear behaviour of aluminum silicon alloy, journal of material science and engineering A, 2010,? 528;247-253.
- S. Kumar, V. Sharma, R.S. Panwar, O.P. Pandey, 'Effect of Particle Size on Wear of Particulate Reinforced Aluminum Alloy Composites at Elevated Temperatures, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 2013, Vol. 22, pp. 3550-3560.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 7 | September-October 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-10-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 211-215
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173746
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Anju Sharma, Rama Arora, Suresh Kumar, "Effect of Mineral Garnet Reinforced on the Tribological Properties of Composite at High Temperature", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 7, pp.211-215, September-October-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173746