Home > Archives > IJSRST173756
Comparative Analysis and Testing of Waste Tire Fiber and Chips Modified Concrete
Authors(3) :-Akash Srivastava, Gaurav Kumar, Ashwani
There are very serious problems with the disposal of waste tires in India. Experiments were conducted to determine how the properties of concrete were affected by the inclusion of waste tires. One of the recommended solutions to solve this environmental problem is to incorporate rubber aggregates resulting from cutting worn tires in the cement concretes. On this subject, several studies concerning the use of rubber aggregates resulting from crushing worn tires were carried out. These research works showed that the benefits of associating rubber-cement in the development of cementing composites with high deformability and on the durability of these composites.
Waste tires were used in the form of chips and fibers. The fibers were further divided into batches with different lengths to determine the effect of length has on the properties of concrete. There was a noticeable decline in the compressive strength of the concrete; however there was an increase in the toughness of the concrete. It was concluded that waste tire fibers were more suitable as additives than waste tire chips since they produced the highest toughness.
An analytical model was performed to determine how properties such as the critical fiber length affect the ultimate tensile strength of the composite. The ultimate tensile strength of concrete is very important as it is the property that is responsible for the failure of concrete even in compression.
A three-dimensional finite element analysis was performed using ANSYS. Results obtained from this analysis were used to determine the critical fiber length. The models were able to predict a value of ultimate tensile strength that was very close to the experimental result obtained.
Akash Srivastava, Gaurav Kumar, Ashwani
Molasses, compressive, strength, accelerator, retarder
- Agarwal, B.D., Broutman, L.J., "Analysis and Performance of Fiber Composites", John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1980
- Allen, H.G., "Glass-fiber reinforced cement, strength and stiffness," CIRIA Report 55, September, 1975.
- American Society for Testing and Materials, Standard Method of Test for Splitting Tensile Strength of Cylindrical Concrete Specimens (ASTM C496-86), Philadelphia, 1986.
- ANSYS User’s Manual 9.0: Ansys structural analysis guide.
- Barbosa, Antonio F., Ribeiro, Gabriel O., "Analysis of reinforced concrete structures using ANSYS nonlinear concrete model," Computational Mechanics, New Trends and Applications, Barcelona, Spain 1998.
- Cox, H. L., "The Elasticity and Strength of Paper and other Fibrous Materials," British Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 3, 1952, pp.72-79.
- Edginton, J., Hannant, D.J., and Williams, R.I.T., "Steel-fiber-reinforced concrete," Building Research Establishment Current Paper CP 69/74, July 1974.
- Eldin, N. N., and Senouci, A. B., "Rubber-tire particles as concrete aggregate." Journal of Material in Civil Engineering, ASCE, 5(4), 1993, 478?496.
- Elvery, R. H., and Samarai, M.A., "Reduction of shrinkage cracking in reinforced concrete due to the inclusion of steel fibers," Fiber-reinforced Cement and Concrete, RILEM Symposium, 1975, pp. 149-159.
- Epps, J. A., "Uses of recycled rubber tires in highways" Synthesis of highway practice 198, Transportation Research Board, National, 1994.
- Fanning, P., "Nonlinear Models of Reinforced and Post-tensioned Concrete Beams," Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering, 2 (2001), pp. 111-119
- Hannant, D. J., Fiber Cements and Fiber Concretes, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1978.
- Hernandez-Oliveres, F. and Barluenga, G., "Fire performance of recycled rubber- filled high-strength concrete" Cement and Concrete Research, Vol 34, No. 1-3, (2003) pp 109-117.
- Hoff, G. C., "The use of fiber reinforced concrete in hydraulic structures and marine environments," Fiber reinforced Cement and Concrete, RILEM Symposium, 1975, pp. 395-407, Construction Press Ltd.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 7 | September-October 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-09-22
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 232-240
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173756
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Akash Srivastava, Gaurav Kumar, Ashwani, "Comparative Analysis and Testing of Waste Tire Fiber and Chips Modified Concrete ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 7, pp.232-240, September-October-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173756