Home > Archives > IJSRST173768
Effect of Nonparabolicity of Conduction Band on Temperature Dependent Electron Mobility in III-V Compounds
Authors(1) :-A. K. Ghorai
The effect of nonparabolicity of the conduction band on the zero-field mobility of free electrons in bulk semiconductor is calculated at low lattice temperatures using relaxation time approximation and taking into account some elastic scattering mechanisms. The mobility expressions are considered for the interaction of electrons with the ionized impurity atoms, the deformation potential acoustic phonons and the piezoelectric acoustic phonons both for parabolic and nonparabolic conduction band. The numerical computations are carried out in InSb, a III-V compound having high value of nonparabolicity factor and in GaAs, a III-V compound semiconductor with low value of nonparabolicity factor. Numerical calculation is done for ionized impurity concentrations of 1x10^13 cm^(-3) and 1x10^15 cm^(-3) in both the samples and it is observed that the nonparabolicity of the conduction band affects the electron mobility noticeably.
Semiconductor, Electron, Scattering Rates, Phonon, Mobility.
- E. M. Conwell, High Field Transport in Semiconductors, Academic Press, New York, 1967.
- L. Reggiani, Hot-Electron Transport in Semiconductors, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1985.
- B. R. Nag, Electron Transport in Compound Semi-conductors, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1980.
- C. Jacoboni and L. Reggiani, “The Monte Carlo method for the solution of charge transport in semiconductors with applications to covalent materials”, Rev. Mod. Phys., vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 645-705, 1983.
- A. K. Ghorai and D. P. Bhattacharya, “Effect of Non-Parabolic Band on the Scattering Rates of Free Electrons in High Purity Semiconductors at Low Lattice Temperatures”, phys. stat. sol.(b), vol. 163, pp. 247-258, 1991.
- A. K. Ghorai and D. P. Bhattacharya, “Effect of finite-energy acoustic phonons on the zero-field mobility characteristics of high-purity semiconductors at low lattice temperatures”, Phys. Rev. B, vol. 47, no. 20, pp.13858-13860, 1993.
- W. Fawcett, A. D. Boardman and S. S. Swain, “Monte Carlo determination of electron transport properties in gallium arsenide”, J. Phys. Chem. Solids, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 1963-1990, 1970.
- E. M. Conwell and M. O. Vassel, “High-Field Transport in n-type GaAs”, Phys. Rev. vol. 166, pp. 797, 1968.
- A. K. Ghorai and D. P. Bhattacharya, “Non-equilibrium carrier transport in III-V compounds at low lattice temperatures”, Physica B, vol. 212, pp. 158-166, 1995.
- A. K. Ghorai and D. P. Bhattacharya, “Electron transport in GaAs at low lattice temperatures”, phys. stat. sol.(b), vol.197, pp. 125-136, 1996.
- A. K. Ghorai and D. P. Bhattacharya, “Lattice-controlled electron transport characteristics in quantized surface layers at low temperature”, Surf.? Sci., vol. 380, no. 2-3, pp. 293-301, 1997.
- A. K. Ghorai, “Phonon Controlled Temperature Dependence of Electron Mobility in 2DEG of GaAs Surface Layer”, IJSRST, vol.3, no. 6, pp. 281-287, 2017.
- C. Jacoboni and L. Reggiani, “Bulk hot-electron properties of cubic semiconductors”, Adv. In Phys.. vol 28, no.4, pp. 493-553, 1979.
- K.Tomizawa, Numerical simulation of submicron semiconductor devices.? Artech House, 1993.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 7 | September-October 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-10-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 408-413
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173768
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
A. K. Ghorai, "Effect of Nonparabolicity of Conduction Band on Temperature Dependent Electron Mobility in III-V Compounds ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 7, pp.408-413, September-October-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173768