Home > Archives > IJSRST17377
Phytoremediation of Lead (Pb) using Cassia Tora (L) Plant
Authors(3) :-Hamza Badamsi, Abdullahi Khalil Suleiman, Tahir Musa Tahir
Phytoremediation has been proposed as an environmentally friendly and cost-effective method of de-contamination of soils polluted with heavy metal including lead (Pb) as an alternative to conventional remediation techniques. In this research, a greenhouse hydroponic experiments were carried out to study the Pb phytoremediation potential of cassia tora plants. Three week old seedlings transplanted in hydroponic solutions were treated with different doses of Pb in the concentration range of 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500 mg/L supplied as Pb(NO3)2. After 15 day of culture, the plants were harvested, blotted to dryness and separated into roots and shoots. The root and shoot dry weights, Pb uptake, translocation and biococentration factors were determined. The results indicate that the uptake and TF increased significantly (P<0.05) with increasing Pb concentration. BCF and root/shoot dry weights were however decreased (P<0.05) with increased Pb dosage. The TF was less than one in all treatments indicating that cassia tora (L) was non-hyperaccumalator of Pb. However, BCF greater than one in all treatment is suggesting that cassia tora (L) could be used in phytoremediation of Pb contaminated environment at low level concentrations.
Hamza Badamsi, Abdullahi Khalil Suleiman, Tahir Musa Tahir
Greenhouse, Hydroponic, Phytoremediation, Cassia tora (L), Pb
- Muhlbachova G (2011). Soil microbial activities and heavy metal mobility in long-term?????????? contaminated soils after addition of EDTA and EDDS. Ecol Eng 37:1064-1071.
- Uzu G, Sobanska S, Sarret G, Munoz M, Dumat C (2011). Foliar lead uptake by lettuce exposed to atmospheric fallouts. Environ Sci Technol 44:1036-1042
- Kevin Telmer, (2011). Assessment of the Artisanal and Small Scale Gold Mining in Anka and Bukkuyum LGAs, Zamfara State, Nigeria, Artisanal Gold Council.
- UNICEF Programme Cooperation Agreement, (2011). Environmental Remediation - Lead Poisoning in Zamfara FINAL REPORT September 2010 - March 2011.
- Singh D, Tiwari A, Gupta R (2012). Phytoremediation of lead fromwastewater using aquatic plants. J Agric Tech 8:1-11
- Ahmad Mohtadi, Seyed Majid Ghaderian and Henk Schat (2013). The effect of EDDS and citrate on the uptake of lead in hydroponically grown Matthiola flavida. Chemosphere 93:234
- Zhou, Q. X. and Song, Y. F (2004). Remediation of Contaminated Soils: Principles and Methods, Beijing: Science Press. 489:986-989.
- Lo IMC, Tsang DCW, Yip TCM, Wang F, Zhang W (2011). Influence of injection conditions on EDDS-flushing of metal-contaminated soil. J Hazard Mater 192:667-675.
- Sabyasachi Chatterjee, Kaniz Wahida Sultana, Anupam Basu and Manas Bhakat (2016). Phytochemical study, antimicrobial and anticancerous activity of Cassia tora Linn. Journal of Microbial & Biochemical Technology. International Conference and Summit on Industrial & Pharmaceutical Microbiology October 17-18, 2016 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Shirbhate Nayana and Malode S. N (2012). Phytoremediation Potential of Cassia Tora (L.) Roxb. to Remove Heavy Metals From Waste Soil Collect From Sukali Compost And Landfill Depot, Amravati (M.S.). G.J.B.B., 1 (1): 104-109.
- Siringoringa, H. H. (2000). The role of some urban forest plants in adsorbing lead particulates. Bull. PenelitianHutan, 622, 1-16.
- Ghose, M. and Singh, S. P. (2005). A review on phytoremediation of heavy metals and utilization of its byproducts. Applied Ecological and Environmental Resources 3: 67-79.
- Gupta, A. K. and Sinha, S. (2008). Decontamination and/or regeneration of fly ash dyke through naturally growing plant. Journal of Hazardous Materials 153: 1078-1087.
- Usman O.A. S. and Omotayo, D (2007). Cassia Plant as Bioaccumulator of Trace Metals: Sensitivity to Lead and Manganese. Best Journal 4(1): 164 - 167.
- Shrikrishna and Singh R.S. (1992). Effect of Zinc on yield, nutrient uptake and quality of Indian mustard. Journal of Indian Society of soil Science. 40(1):321-325.
- Walker, C.H. (1987). Kinetic models for predicting bioconcentration factors. Environ. Pollut. 44(2):227-239.
- Shahid M, Pinelli E, Pourrut B, Silvestre J, Dumat C (2011). Lead induced genotoxicity to Vicia faba L. roots in relation with metal cell uptake and initial speciation. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf.74:78-84.
- Wong M.H, li W.C, ZH Y.C (2007). Effect of Bacteria on enhanced metal uptake of the Cd/Zn hyperaccumulating plant, Sedum Alferedii. J. Exp. Bot., 58(16):4173-4182.
- Carl E.S, Heather D.T, Timothy W.C and Williams M.R. (2004).? Zn availability in hydroponics culture influences Glucosinolate concentration in Brassica Rapa. Hort. Sci., 39(1):84-86.
- Miguel P, Mourato I.N, Moreira I.L, Filipa R.P, Joana R.S and Luisa L.M (2015). Effect of Heavy Metals in Plants of the Genus Brassica. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 16:17975-17998.
- Anamika S, Eaparn S and Fulekar M (2009). Phytoremediation of Cd, Pb and Zn by Brassica Juncea L. Czern and Cross J. Applied Biosci. 13(4):726-736.
- Baker, A. J. M. and R. R. Brooks (1989).Terrestrial higher plants which hyperaccumulate metallic elements - a review of their distribution, ecology and phytochemistry. Biorecovery.1: 81-126.
- Ghosh M and Singh V (2005). A review on phytoremediation of heavy metals and utilization of its byproducts. Appl. Ecol. Environ. Res. 3(1): 1-18.
- Yoon, J., X. Cao, Q. Zhou, and L. Q. Ma. (2006). Accumulation of Pb, Cu, and Zn in native plants growing on a contaminated Florida site. Sci. Total Environ. 368: 456-464.
- Han F, Shan XQ, Zhang SZ, Wen B, Owens G. (2005). Enhanced cadmium accumulation in maize roots: the impact of organic acids. Plant and Soil. 289(2):355-368.
- Ahmad M, Seyed M, Ghaderian and Henk S (2013). The effect of EDDS and citrate on the uptake of lead in hydroponically grown Matthiola flavida. Chemosphere, 93:986-989.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 7 | September-October 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-10-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 105-109
Manuscript Number : IJSRST17377
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Hamza Badamsi, Abdullahi Khalil Suleiman, Tahir Musa Tahir, "Phytoremediation of Lead (Pb) using Cassia Tora
(L) Plant", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 7, pp.105-109, September-October-2017.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST17377