Home > Archives > IJSRST173773
Effect of Low Volume Normal Saline on Polymorphonuclear Cell Poputation in Repeat Breeder Cows
Authors(5) :-S. Alagar, R. Ezakial Napolean, M. Selvaraju, G. A. Balasubramaniam, P. Selvaraj
The present study examines the effect of uterine flushing in repeat breeder cows with sterile normal saline solution 30 ml on day selection (oestrus), 4, 8, and 12. All the experimental groups the uterine flushing was common, the therapeutic protocol differ in each group after the uterine flushing. The percentage of polymorphonuclear cells (PMNs) detected with endometrial cytology as an indicator of subclinical endometritis. It was hypothesized uterine flushing would be a technique to reduce the number of PMNs in the uterus, and hence be beneficial for cows affected by subclinical endometritis. Cytology samples were taken by low-volume flushing from 72 repeat breeder cows. In this concluded that normal saline uterine flushingin all experimental groups revealed decreased PMN cells in repeat breeder cows than at time of selection, therefore, uterine flushing technique was a useful and practical method to decrease the number of PMNs in the uterus of cattle.
S. Alagar, R. Ezakial Napolean, M. Selvaraju, G. A. Balasubramaniam, P. Selvaraj
Repeat breeder, Normal saline, uterine flushing and cow.
- F. O.? Ahmed and A. S. Elshiekh, (2014). Treatment of repeat breeding in dairy cows with Lugol’s Iodine.Journal of Agriculture and Veterinary Science, 7: 22-26.
- O.I. Azawi, (2008). Review: Postpartum uterine infection in cattle. Anim. Reprod. Sci., 105: 187-208.
- C.S. Barlund, T.D. Carruthers, C.L. Waldner, C.W. Palmer, (2008). A comparison of diagnostic techniques for postpartum endometritis in dairy cattle.Theriogenology, 69: 714-723.
- S.P. Brinsko, D.D. Varner, T.L. Blanchard, S.A. Meyers. (1990). The effect of post breeding uterine lavage on pregnancy rate in mares. Theriogenol., 33: 465-475.
- G.S. Dhaliwal, (2005). Managing dairy herds for optimal reproductive efficiency.Recent concepts in physio-pathology of animal reproduction. In: Centre of advanced studies in veterinary gynaecology and reproduction.? Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India, pp: 1-9.
- P. Dini,? M. Farhoodi, M. Hostens, M. Van Eetvelde, O. Bogado Pascottini, M. H. Fazeli, and G. Opsomer, (2015). Effect of uterine lavage on neutrophil counts in postpartum dairy cows.Anim. Reprod. Sci., 158: 25-30.
- R.O. Gilbert, (2012). The effects of endometritis on the establishment of pregnancy in cattle.Reprod. Feril. Dev., 24: 252-257.
- R.O. Gilbert, S.T. Shin, C.L. Guard, H.N.? Erb and M. Frajbla, (2005). Prevalence of endometritis and its effects on reproductive performance of dairy cows.Theriogenology, 64: 1879-1888.
- H.Gustafsson, U. Emanuelson, (2002). Characterisation of the repeat breeding syndrome in Swedish dairy cattle.Acta Vet Scand., 43: 115-125.
- M.T. Javed, and Khan, M.Z. (1991). Bacteriological and bio-histopathological studies in Repeat breeding cows.Journal of Islamic Academy of Sciences, 4: 242-244.
- S. Kantharaj, (2015). Studies on the efficacy of Ovsynch and modified Ovsynch protocols on the conception rate in repeat breeder cows. Ph.D., Thesis submitted to the Karnataka Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries Sciences University, Bidar, Karnataka.
- R. Kasimanickam, T.F. Duffield, R.A. Foster, J.S. Walton and W.H. Johnson, (2004). Endometrial cytology and ultrasonogrphy for the detection of subclinical endometritis in postpartum dairy cows.Theriogenology, 62: 9-23.
- D. E. Noakes, T.J. Parkinson, G.C.W. England. (2001).? Arthur’s Veterinary Obstetrics. 8th Eds., W.B. Saunders, Phildelphia, USA, pp: 402- 406 and 461-464.
- M. Palanisamy, (2012). Efficacy of immunomodulators, lugols’s iodine and prostaglandin f in the treatment of postpartum endometritis in cows. Ph.D., thesis submitted to TANUVAS, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- I. M. Sheldon, J. Cronin, L. Goetze, G. Donorfio and H. J. Schuberth, (2009). Defining postpartum uterine disease and the mechanisms of infection and immunity in the female reproductive tract in cattle.Biol. Reprod., 81: 1025-1032.
- J. Singh, S. Nanda, G.S. Dhaliwal and G.R. Pangaonkar, (2003). Treatment of bacterial endometritis in crossbred cows using intra uterine oyster glycogen, a non-specific immunomodulators.Indian J. Anim. Sci.,73: 844-847.
- J. Singh,? S.S. Sidhu, G.S. Dhaliwal, G.R. Pangaokar, A.S. Nanda? and? A.S. Grewal, (2000). Effectiveness of lipopolysaccharide as an intrauterine immunomodulaors in curing bacterial endometritis in repeat breeding crossbred cows.Anim. Reprod. Sci.,59: 159-166.
- J.L. Wiebold, (1988). Embryonic mortality and the uterine environment in first service lactating dairy cows.J. Reprod. Fertil.,84: 393-399.
- M. Yusuf, T. Nakao, R.B. Ranasinghe, G. Gautam, S.T. Long, C. Yoshida,? K. Koike and A. Hayashi, (2010). Reproductive performance of repeat breeders in dairy herds.Theriogenology, 73: 1220-1229.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 7 | September-October 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-10-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 426-429
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173773
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
S. Alagar, R. Ezakial Napolean, M. Selvaraju, G. A. Balasubramaniam, P. Selvaraj, "Effect of Low Volume Normal Saline on Polymorphonuclear Cell Poputation in Repeat Breeder Cows", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 7, pp.426-429, September-October-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173773