Home > Archives > IJSRST173926
Role of Gibberellic Acid, Leaf Extract of Azadirachtaindica and Pongamiapinnata on Growth and Productivity of Garlic
Authors(3) :-Bhosale K. S., Limaye A.S., Shinde B. P.
A pot experiment was carried out to evaluate the effects of foliar application of four different concentrations of GA3 and leaf extract of Azadirachtaindica and Pongamiapinnata on garlic plants. An experiment was carried out with three replications. The growth characteristics e.g. root length, shoot length; number of leaves, fresh weight and dry weight, growth and vigour index etc. were studied. The biochemical contents like chlorophyll a, b and total chlorophylls as well as relative water content contents were studied. The four different concentrations of GA3 were made in absolute alcohol and the dilutions were made in distilled water. For the foliar spray 25 ppm, 50ppm, 75ppm and 100 ppm concentrations of GA3 was used at an interval of 7 days each. The leaf extract of Azadirachtaindica and Pongamiapinnatawas made by crushing 10 g leaves in 100 ml of distilled water and stored in refrigerator separately. The six sets of garlic plants were made with six plants in each set. Among each set of six plants three plants were used as control and three as replicates. The leaves of all the three replicates were sprayed with 25, 50, 75 and 100 ppm of GA3, leaf extract of Azadirachtaindica and Pongamiapinnatarespectively. The first treatment was given after completing the growth for 40 days and the subsequent sprays were given after every seven days. All the plants were watered after every six days. The foliar spray was applied for five times and the plants were used to study the growth parameters after 120 days. Leaf extracts showed comparatively better results than GA3.
Bhosale K. S., Limaye A.S., Shinde B. P.
Gibberellic Acid, Garlic, Azadirachta, Pongamia, Yield
- Nosraty, A. E. Effect of planting method, plant density and seed clove size on yield of Hamedan garlic. Seed and Plant, 20(3): 401-404.(2004).
- Yakubu H A., Izge1U., HussainiM. A., JibrinJ. M.,MbelloO. G and IsyakuM. S. Varietal response and gibberellic acid concentrations on yield and yield traits of groundnut (Arachishypogaea L.) under wet and dry conditions. Academia Journal of Agricultural Research 1(1): 001-008. (2012).
- Hassanpouraghdam M. B., HajisamadiB. and KhalighiA. Gibberellic Acid Foliar Application Influences Growth, Volatile Oil and Some Physiological Characteristics of Lavender (Lavandula officinalisChaix.) Romanian Biotechnological Letters16: 4. (2011).
- Chao, C. T. and LovattC. J. Foliarapplied 3,5,6-trichloro-2-pyridoxylacetic acid (3,5,6-TPA) increases yield of commercially valuable large-size fruit of “Fina Sodea” clementine mandarin. Acta Hort. 884:433-440(2010).
- Vijayalaxmi, K., Radha K. S. and Vandana S.Neeem-A User’s Manual(1995).
- Gopalan, C., RamasastriB. V., and BalasubramanianS. C. Proximate principles: Common foods. In: Narasinga Rao, B.C., Pant, K.C. and Deosthale, Y.G. (Eds.), Nutritive value of Indian foods (Revised and updated edition) (pp. 53?55). Hyderabad, India: National Institute of Nutrition, ICMR(2000).
- Anderson, J., Abdul-BakiA. S. Vigor determination in soybean seeds by multiple criteria. Crop Science3: 630-633.(1973).
- Maisuria, K. M. and Patel S. T. Seed germinability, root and shoot length and vigour index of soybean as influenced by rhizosphere fungi Karnataka J. Agric. Sci.22 (5): 1120-1122.(2009).
- Bhargava D. and Bhardwaj N. Effect of sodium fluoride on seed germination and seedling growth of Triticumaestivum var. RAJ. 4083. Journal of Phytology2(4): 41?43.(2010).
- Arnon, D. T. Copper enzymes in isolated Chloroplast polyphenol oxidase in Betavulgaris. Plant Physiology. 24: 1-15.(1949).
- Barr, H. D. and WeatherleyP. E. A re-examination of the relative turgidity technique for estimating water deficit in leaves. Aust. J. of Biol. Sci. 15: 413-428.(1962).
- Mislevy, P., BooteK. J. and MartinF. G. Soybean response to gibberellic acid treatments. J. Plant Growth Regul. 8:11-18 (1989).
- Harrington, J. F., Rappaport L. and HoodK. J. The influence of gibberellins on stem elongation and flowering on endive. Science125:601.(1996).
- Tanimoto, E. Gibberellin requirement for the normal growth of roots. In: Takahashi, N, Phinney, B. O, MacMillan, J. (Ed.), Gibberellins. New York: Springer-Verlag. cap.22: 229-240 (1990).
- Maske, V. G., DotaleR. D., SorteP.N, Tale B. D. and ChoreC.N.Germination, root and shoot, stem elongation in soybean as influenced by GA3 and NAA. J. Soils Crops. 7:147-149.(1997).
- Awan, I. and AlizaiH. K. Effect of plant growth regulators on ripening, grain development and rice quality. Int. Rice Res. Newslett.149:30-31 (1989).
- Lee, H. S. Effects of pre-sowing seed treatments with GA3 and IAA on flowering and yield components in groundnuts. Korean J. Crop Sci. 35:1-9(1990).
- Sarkar, P. K., HaqueM. S. and AbdulkarimM. Effects of GA? and IAA and their Frequency of Application on Morphology and Yield Contributing Characters of Soybean. J. Agron.1(4): 119-122. (2002).
- Mikitzel, L. J. Influencing seed tuber yield of Ranger Russet and Shepody potatoes with gibberellic acid. Am. Potato J.70: 667-676. (1993).
- El-Naggar, H.A.A.M. and El-naggarIsmaielN. M. Effect of phosphorus application and gibberellic acid on the growth and flower quality of (Dianthus caryophyllus L.). American-Eurasian J. Agric. and Environ. Sci., 6: 400-410.(2009).
- Kothule, V.G., BhaleraoR. K. and SatheB.V. Effect of exogenous application of growth regulators on growth, biomass partitioning and yield in soybean. Annals of Plant Physiol.17(1): 95-99.(2003).
- Yadav, P.V.S. and Abha-Tikkoo. Effect of zinc and boron application on growth, flowering and fruiting of tomato (Lycopersiconesculentum Mill). Harrying J. Hort. Sci.30(1-2): 105-107(2001).
- Behairy. A.G. and RizkF. A. Growth and yield of pea (Pisumsativum L.) plants as affected by some foliar fertilizers. Egyptian Journal of Applied Sciences, 10(11): 274-281.(1995).
- El-Sayed, M. M., ShaheenA. M. and KhalilR. M. Growth and productivity of pea plants (Pisumsativum L.) as responded to Stimufol fertilizer combined with Gibberellin (GA3) application. Minufiya Journal of Agriculture Research,10(2): 1005-1016. (1985).
- Alexopoulos, A. A., AkoumianakisK. A. and PassamH. C. Effect of plant growth regulators on the tuberisation and physiological age of potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) tubers grown from true potato seed. Can. J. Plant Sci.86, 1217?1225.(2006).
- Shah, S. H and SamiullahI. A.Effect of gibberellic acid spray on growth, nutrient uptake and yield attributes during various growth stages of black cumin (Nigella sativa L.). Asian J. Plant Sci.5: 881-884. (2006).
- Reda, F. G.,BarotyS.A., TalaatI. M., Abdel-Rahim I. A. and AyadH. S. Effect of some growth regulators and vitamins on essential oil, phenolic content and activity of oxidoreductase enzymes of (Thymus vulgaris L.). World J. Agric. Sci.3, 630-638. (2007).
- Garcia, L. R. and Hanway J. J. Foliar fertilization of soybeans during the seedfilling period. Ph.D. thesis Iowa State University, (1976).
- Brantly, B. B. 1985. Effects of nutrition and other factors on flowering, fruiting and quality of watermelon and muskmelons. Diss. Abstr.19: 925.(1976).
- Amal, M., ShraiyE. and HegaziA. M.Effect of acetylsalicylic acid, indole-3-butyric acid and gibberellic acid on plant growth and yield of Pea (Pisumsativum L.). Basic App Sci. 3(4): 3514-3523.(2009).
- Bideshki, A., ArvinM. J. andDariniM. Interactive effects of Indole-3-butyric acid (IBA) and salicylic acid (SA) on growth parameters, bulb yield and allicin contents of garlic (Allium sativum) under drought stress in field. Inter J Agro Plant Prod. 4 (2): 271-279.(2013).
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 9 | November-December 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-12-15
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 138-143
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173926
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Bhosale K. S., Limaye A.S., Shinde B. P., "Role of Gibberellic Acid, Leaf Extract of Azadirachtaindica and Pongamiapinnata on Growth and Productivity of Garlic ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 9, pp.138-143, November-December-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173926