Home > Archives > IJSRST173951
Antioxidant Effects of Melatonin and R-?-lipoic acid on Mimetically Aged Houseflies
Authors(1) :-A. A. Sharbidre
D-galactose (D-gal) has been widely used to induce mimetic aging in various animals. In the current study, we used Melatonin and R-?-lipoic acid to explore their antioxidant and anti-aging effect in D-gal induced mimetic aging in male Musca domestica. In this study, we finalized the doses of Melatonin and R-?-lipoic acid upon chronic administration (20 days). Our results confirmed that these antioxidant administrations significantly improved the ROS generated by decreasing the levels of AOPPs, and MDA levels in aging houseflies. Melatonin and R-?-lipoic acid administration elevated the activities of SOD and proteins levels which are suppressed by aging. Our results signify that both Melatonin and R-?-lipoic acid effectively alleviated oxidative stress and improved protein levels in D-Gal induced aged houseflies.
Aging; D-galactose; oxidative stress; Musca domestica; Melatonin; R-?-lipoic acid
- Altun D., Uysal H., Askin H. and Ayar A., Determination of the effects of genistein on the longevity of Drosophila melanogaster meigen (Diptera; Drosophilidae), Bull Environ Contam Toxicol., 86: 120-123 (2011).
- Beauchamp C. and Fridovich I., Superoxide dismutase improved assay and assay applicable to acrylamide gels, Anal Biochem., 44:276 (1971).
- Bradford M.M., A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding, Anal Biochem., 72: 248-254(1976).
- Cui X., Li W.B., Zhang B.L. and Zhang J, Mechanism of lipid peroxidation of D-galactose- induced brain aging model, Chin J Gerontol., 18: 38-40 (1998).
- Cui X., Wang L., Zuo P., Han Z., Fang Z. and Li W., D-Galactose-caused life shortening in Drosophila melanogaster and Musca domestica is associated with oxidative stress, Biogerontol., 5:317- 326 (2004).
- Cui X., Zuo P., Zhang Q., Li X., Hu Y., Long J., Packer L. and Liu J., Chronic systemic D-galactose exposure induces memory loss, neurodegeneration, and oxidative damage in mice: protective effects of R-alpha-lipoic acid, J Neurosci Res., 84:647- 654 (2006).
- Elia A.C., Waller W.T. and Norton S.J., Biochemical response of bluegill sunfish (Lepomis macrochirus, Rafinesque) to atrazine induced oxidative stress,? Bull Environ Contam Toxicol., 68:809-816 (2002).
- Hanasand M., Omdal R., Norheim K.B., G?ransson L.G., Brede C. and? Jonsson G., Improved detection of advanced oxidation protein products in plasma, Clin Chim Acta., 413:901-906 (2012).
- Hsieh H.M., Wu WM., Hu M.L., Genistein attenuates d-galactose- induced oxidative damage through decreased reactive oxygen species and NF ?B binding activity in neuronal PC12 cells, Life Sci., 88: (1-2) 82-88 (2011).
- Kaur? H., Chauhan S. and Sandhir R., Protective effect of lycopene on oxidative stress and cognitive decline in rotenone induced model of Parkinson’s disease, Neurochem Res., 36:1435- 1443 (2011).
- Kumar M.H.V. and Gupta Y.K., Effect of Centella asiatica on cognition and oxidative stress in an intra cerebro-ventricular streptozotocin model of Alzheimer's disease in rats, Clin Expl Pharmacol Physiol., 30 :( 5-6) 336-342 (2003).
- Ohkawa H., Ohishi N. and Yagi K., Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction, Anal Biochem., 95: 351-358 (1979).
- Packer L., Witt E.H., Tritschler H.J., alpha-Lipoic acid as a biological antioxidant, Free Radic Biol Med., 19:227-250 (1995).
- Shay K.P., Moreau R.F., Smith E.J., Smith A.R. and Hagen T.M., Alpha-lipoic acid as a dietary supplement: molecular mechanisms and therapeutic potential, Biochim Biophys Acta., 1790(10):1149-1160 (2009).
- Scott B.C., Aruoma O.I., Evans P.J., O'NeillC, Van der Vliet A., Cross C.E., Tritschler H.H., Halliwell B., Lipoic and dihydrolipoic acids as antioxidants. A critical evaluation, Free Radic Res., 20:119-133(1994).
- Toroser D., Sohal R.S., Kinetic characteristics of native ?-glutamylcysteine ligase in the aging housefly, Musca domestica L.,? Biochem Biophys Res Commun., 326(3) 586-593(2005).
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 9 | November-December 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-12-15
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 259-263
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173951
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
A. A. Sharbidre, "Antioxidant Effects of Melatonin and R-?-lipoic acid on Mimetically Aged Houseflies", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 9, pp.259-263, November-December-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173951