Home > Archives > IJSRST173957
Variation of β-radiation counts with water content in Ocimum Tenuiflorumand AzadirachtaIndica Plant Leaves
Authors(2) :-Shantanu S Thakare, Kavita G Sonawane
Our aim is to study the changes in β-radiation counts with water content in Ocimum Tenuiflorum (Tulasi) and AzadirachtaIndica (Kadunimb) plant leaves using beta source Tl204. Counts were measured for one minute (60 seconds) using Geiger Muller counter. The same leaf was observed for ten days. Counts vary as the amount/percentage of water content in the leaf gets changed. It was observed that leaf absorbs more radiation when it is fresh than dry. This study will useful for quantitative evaluation of interaction of radiations with leaves of plants
Shantanu S Thakare, Kavita G Sonawane
GM Counter, Leaf, Radioactive Sources, Water
- Thakur R., Gangwar S., Sharma R., and Tilak A., Indian Traditional Shrub Tulsi (ocimum sanctum) Use in Medicine, Imp. J. Inter. Res., 3 (1), 1539 (2017).
- Girish K., Shankara B. S., Neem ? A Green Treasure, Elec. J. Bio., 4 (3), 102 (2008).
- Chaudhari L.M., Study of attenuation coefficient of leaves of Ashoka plant by using Cs and Tl sources, Res. J. Phy. Sci., 1 (2), 1 (2013).
- Pattanashetti I.I. and Galagali M.N., Attenuation coefficient and water content determination of Almond leaves using beta radiation, Int. J. Inno. Sci., Engg. & Tech., 3 (3), 569 (2016).
- Kirandeep K., Bala P. and Sharma A., Determination of attenuation coefficient and water content of broccoli leaves using beta particles, Int. J. comp. appl., ICAET-2015, 25 (2015).
- Kirandeep K., Bala P. and Sharma A., Estimation of water content of vegetable leaves using beta attenuation technique, J. Chem. Bio. &Phy. Sci., 5 (2), 1791 (2015).
- Havaraddi B.N., The radiation absorption of beta rays by different plant leaves, Int. J. Engg., Tech. &Inno., 1(3), 1 (2015).
- J?rdens C., Scheller M., Breitenstein B., Selmar D.? & Koch M., Evaluation of leaf water status by means of permittivity at terahertz frequencies, J. Biol. Phys., 255 (2009).
- Mahajan C.S., Mass attenuation coefficients of beta particles in elements, Sci. Res. Rep. 2(2), 135 (2012).
- Rocca P. and Riggi F., Absorption of beta particles in different materials: an undergraduate experiment, Eur. J. Phys. 30, 1417(2009).
- Baldacci L., Pagano M., Masini L., Toncelli A., Carelli G., Storchi P. and Tredicucci A., Non-invasive absolute measurement of leaf water content using terahertz quantum cascade lasers, BioMed Central Plant Methods, 2(2017).
- Nakayana F. and Erhler W., Beta Ray Gauging Technique for Measuring Leaf Water Content Changes and Moisture Status of Plants, U. S. Water Conservation Laboratory, Tempe, Arizona, Soil and Water Conservation Research Division, ARS, United States Department of Agriculture, (1963).
- Ram N., Rao I.S.S. and Mehta M.K., Mass absorption coefficient and beta particle range in Be, Al, Cu, Ag &Pb., Pramana, 18 (2),121(1982).
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 9 | November-December 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-12-15
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 290-293
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173957
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Shantanu S Thakare, Kavita G Sonawane, "Variation of β-radiation counts with water content in Ocimum Tenuiflorumand AzadirachtaIndica Plant Leaves", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 9, pp.290-293
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173957