Home > Archives > IJSRST1841023
Genetic Variation in Mutants of Finger Millet ( Eleusine Coracana (L.) Gaertn. ) Var- Co 13 Evaluated by Rapd Markers
Authors(2) :-Aviya K, Mullainathan L
The present study was under taken in order to analyze the chemical mutagenesis on finger millet germplasm. In this regard, Co-13 Variety of Finger millet was subjected to different mutagenic concentration for inducing mutagenesis. The M4 plants exposed to EMS and DES to produce clear difference from the control, thus indicating that mutagenic treatment produce polymorphic regions in the Finger millet. For extraction of genomic DNA was adopted an improved protocol of CTAB method with slight modification. A total of ten primers were used to screen the polymorphism among the treated populations line tall mutant, dwarf mutant, early maturity mutant, seed colour mutant and high yielding mutant were analyzed with control. Out of ten primers, five primers (OPC04, OPC08, OPA13, OPC12 and OPD08) were successfully amplified in all the samples used for this study. The successful primers were amplified in to 145 products showing an average of 14.5 bands.
Induced Mutation, Finger Millet, EMS, DES, RAPD Analysis.
- Ahloowalia B. and M. Maluszynski, 2001. Induced mutations-A new paradigm in plant breeding. Euphytica, 118: 167-173.
- Akcicek, E., M. Vural, L. Acik and A. Celebi. 2005. Notes on Campanula argaea group (Campanulaceae) in Turkey and related species. Ann. Bot. Fenn., 42(6): 405-410.
- Arulbalachandran, D., L. Mullainathan, S. Karthgayan, S.T. Somasundaram and S. Velu, 2009. Evaluation of genetic variation in mutants of blackgram (Vigna mungo (L.) Hepper) as revealed by RAPD markers. Emir. J. Food. Agric., 21: 42-50.
- Ashok Kumar, G. and V. Ponnuswami, 2010. Effect of Physical and Chemical Mutagenesis on DNA Polymorphism in Paprika. Research Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 1(3): 193-195.
- Atak, C., S. Alikamanoglu, L. Acik and Y. Canbolat, 2004. Induced of plastid mutations in soybean plant (Glycine max L. Merrill) with gamma radiation and determination with RAPD. Mutat. Res., 566: 35-44.
- Atienzar, F.A. and A.N. Jha. 2006. The random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) assay and related techniques applied to genotoxicity and carcinogenesis studies: A critical review. Mutat. Res., 613: 76-102.
- Atienzar, F.A., P. Venier, A.N. Jha and M.H. Depledge, 2002. Evaluation of the random amplified polymorphic DND (RAPD) assay for the detection of DNA damage and mutations, Mutat. Res. Genet. Toxicol. Environ. Mutagen., 521 (1-2): 151-163.
- Babu BK., N. Senthil, SM. Gomez, KR. Biji, NS. Rajendraprasad, SS. Kumar, RC. Babu 2007. Assessment of genetic diversity among finger millet (Eleusine coracana (L.) Gaertn.) accessions using molecular markers. Genet. Resour. Crop Evol. 54:399-404.
- Baird E., S. Cooper-Bland, R .Waugh, M. De Maine and W. Powell, 1992. Molecular characterisation ofinter- and intra-specific somatic hybrids of potato using RAPD markers. Molecular and General Genetics; 233(3): 469-475.
- Bisht M. and Y. Mukai, 2001. Genomic in situ hybridization identifies genome donor of finger millet (Eleusine coracana). Theor. Appl. Genet. 102:825-832.
- Chaudhuri, S.K. 2002. A simple and reliable method to detect gamma irradiated lentil (Lens culinaris Medik.) seeds by germination efficiency and seedling growth test. Rad. Physic and Chem., 64: 131–136.
- Danylchenko O. and B. Sorochinsky, 2005. Use of RAPD assay for the detection of mutation changes in plant DNA induced by UV-B and R- rays. BMC plant Biol., 5: S9-S9.
- Dida MM., RS. Srinivasachary, JL. Bennetzen, MD. Gale, KM. Devos 2007. The genetic map of finger millet, Eleusine coracana. Theor. Appl. Genet. 114:321-332.
- Gokturk, R.S., H. Sumbul and L. Aç?k. 2003. A new species of Cephalaria Schrader ex Roemer and Schultes (Dipsacaceae) including a new variety from East Anatolia, Turkey. Israel J. Plant Sci., 51: 59-65.
- Hegazi, A.Z. and N. Hamideldin, 2010. The effect of gamma irradiation on enhancement of growth and seed yield of okra (Abelmoschus esculentus (L.) Moench) and associated molecular changes. J.Horti & Forestry., 2(3): 038-051.
- Kotschi., J 2006. Coping with Climate Change, and the Role of Agrobiodiversity. Conference on International Agricultural Research for Development. Tropentag 2006 University of Bonn. October 11-13,
- Martin, G.B., J.G.K. Williams and S.D. Tanksley, 1991. Rapid identification of markers linked to a Pseudomonas resistance gene in tomato by using random primers and hears-isogenic line, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., 88: 2336-2340.
- Michelmore, R.W., I. Paran and R.V. Kesseli, 1991. Identification of markers linked to disease resistance genes by bulked segregant analyses:- a rapid method to detect markers in specific genomic regions by using segregating populations. Proc. Natl. Acad.Sc. USA, 88(21): 9828-9832.
- Micke, A., Maluszynski, M. and Donini, B. 1985. Plant cultivars derived from mutation induction or the use of induced mutants in cross breeding. Mutation Breeding Review No.3. IAEA, Vienna.
- Micochova, L., O. R. Chloupek, F. Uptmoor, Ordon and W. Friedt, 2004. Molecular analysis of the barley cv. Valticky and its X-ray derived semidwarf mutant Diamant. Plant Breed., 123: 421-427.
- Mullainathan, L., A. Sridevi, S. Umavathi and E. Sanjai Gandhi, 2014. Genetic variation in mutants of chilli (Capsicum annum) Revealed by RAPD marker. International Letters of Natural Sciences. 6 : 1-8.
- Naug?emys, D., S. Zilinskaite, J. Denkovskij, J. Patamsyt?, J. Literskis and D. Zvingila, 2007. RAPD based study of genetic variation and relationships among Lonicera germplasm accessions. Biologia, 53(3): 34-39.
- Powell, W., M.S. Phillips J.W. McNicol and R. Waugh, 1991. The use of DNA markers to estimate the extent and nature of genetic variability in Solanum tuberosum cultivars. Ann. Appl. Biol. 118: 423-432.
- Quiros, C.F., Hu J., This P., Chevre A.M. and Delseny M. Development and chromosomal Rafalski J.A., Tingey S.V. and Williams J.G.K. RAPD markers- A new technology for geneticmapping and plant breeding. Agbiotech. News Inf. 1991; 3: 645-648.
- Rafalski, J.A., S.V. Tingey and J.G.K. Williams, 1991. RAPD markers- A new technology for geneticmapping and plant breeding. Agbiotech. News Inf, 3: 645-648.
- Subramanian, V., S. Gurtu, S. Nageswara Rao and S.N Sigam, 2000. Identification of DNA polymorphism on cultivated groundnut using random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) assay. Genome., 43: 656-660.
- Thilagavathi, C. 2011. Studies on Induced mutagenesis and crop improvement in Black gram (Vigna mungo (L.) Hepper). Ph.D Thesis, Annamalai University, India.
- Upadhya, A., K. R. Jayadev, R. Manimekalai and V.A. Parthasarathy. 2004. Genetic relationship and diversity in Indian coconut accessions based on RAPD markers. Sci. Hortic., 99: 353-362.
- Wachira, F. N., R. Waugh, C.A. Hackett and W. Powell, 1995. Detection of genetic diversity in tea (Camellia sinensis) using RAPD markers. Genome, 38: 201–210.
- Wang, Z.Y., J.M. Lin, L. Luo and Z.F. Xu, 2009.Sensitivity of Jatropa curcas seeds to (60) COγ radiation and their medical lethal dose in radiation breeding. Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao, 29 : 506 – 508.
- Williams, J.G., A.R. Kubelik, K.J. Livak, and J.A. Rafalski,1990. DNA polymorphisms amplified by arbitrary primers gare useful as genetic markers. Nucleic Acids Res., 18: 6531-6535.
- Yuzbas?o?lu, E., S. ozcan and L. Aç?k. 2006. Analysis of genetic relationships among Turkish cultivars and breeding lines of Lens culinaris Mestile using RAPD markers. Genet. Resour. Crop Ev., 53: 507-514.
Published in : Volume 4 | Issue 10 | September-October 2018
Date of Publication : 2018-09-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 48-57
Manuscript Number : IJSRST1841023
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Aviya K, Mullainathan L, "Genetic Variation in Mutants of Finger Millet ( Eleusine Coracana (L.) Gaertn. ) Var- Co 13 Evaluated by Rapd Markers", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 4, Issue 10, pp.48-57, September-October-2018
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST1841023