Home > Archives > IJSRST184122
An Experimental Study on Partial Replacement of Fine Aggregate As a Quarry Dust In Concrete
Authors(2) :-Dr. T. Siva Sankar Reddy, D. Mohammed Rafi
Concrete is the most widely used construction material today. The constituents of concrete are coarse aggregate, fine aggregate binding material and water. Rapid increase in construction activities leads to acute shortage of conventional construction materials. It is conventional that sand is being used as fine aggregate in concrete. For the past some years, the escalation in cost of sand due to administrative restrictions in India, demands comparatively greater cost at around two to three times the cost of quarry dust even in places where river sand is available nearby. To achieve economy, it is proposed to study with the use of crusher powder, a quarry waste as an alternative material to replace sand by crusher powder. There was a remarkable increase in compressive strength of concrete with 20% replacement of sand with manufactured sand. 40% replacement is possible and 50% replacement gave higher strength. Quarry dust fine aggregate decreased the compressive strength due to deficient grading and excessive flakiness. The w/c ratio and slump value increased with the replacement of sand, Voids present in quarry dust mortar were lesser as compared to that of sand hence higher compressive strength. A comparatively good strength is expected when sand is replaced partially or fully with or without concrete admixtures.
Dr. T. Siva Sankar Reddy, D. Mohammed Rafi
Aggregate, Admixture, Escalation
- Gambhir M.L, "Concrete Manual", Dhanpat Rai & Co. (Pvt) Ltd., Educational and Technical Publishers, 1710, Nai Sarak, New Delhi-110 006.
- Sheety M.S, "Concrete Technology", S.Chand & Company Ltd., Ram Nagar, New Delhi-110 055.
- I.S 456 (2000), "Indian Standard code of practice for plain and reinforced concrete", Fourth revision, Bureau of Indian standards, Manak Bhavan, 9 Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi-110 002, India.
- I.S 10262 (1982), "Recommended guidelines for concrete mix design", IFrst revision, Bureau of Indian standard, Manak Bhavan, 9 Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi-110 002, India.
- I.S 10262 (2009), "Concrete mix proportioning ", First revision, Bur-Guidelineseau of Indian standard, Manak Bhavan, 9 Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi-110 002, India.?
Published in : Volume 4 | Issue 2 | January-February 2018
Date of Publication : 2018-02-28
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 65-72
Manuscript Number : IJSRST184122
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Dr. T. Siva Sankar Reddy, D. Mohammed Rafi, "An Experimental Study on Partial Replacement of Fine Aggregate As a Quarry Dust In Concrete", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 4, Issue 2, pp.65-72, January-February-2018.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST184122