Home > Archives > IJSRST1841360
A Review On Parkinson's Disease Diagnosis Through Speech
Authors(2) :-Amreen Saifer, Dr. S. M. Ali
This paper gives detailed description of Parkinson’s disease (PD) and systematic literature review on Parkinson’s disease severity assessment methods based on speech impairment. Parkinson’s disease is the most common disease of motor system degeneration that occurs when the dopamine-producing cells are damaged in substantia nigra. EEG, gait and speech are the various signals used to detect PD, these signals was also been investigated. Since approximately 90 percent of the people with PD suffer from speech disorders, speech analysis is considered as the most common technique for diagnosing. Researchers proposes various algorithm for diagnosing of Parkinson’s disease based on voice analysis. Viz. Support vector machine (SVM), Genetic Algorithm, Artificial Neural Network.
Amreen Saifer, Dr. S. M. Ali
Parkinson's disease; Speech Analysis; Genetic Algorithm; Support Vector Machine
- J.W.Langston,"Parkinson’s disease: current and future challenges,"Neuro Toxicology,vol.23,no.4-5,pp.443-450,2002.
- L.M.de Lau and M.M.Breteler,"Epidemiology of Parkinson’s disease," The Lancet Neurology,vol.5,no.6,pp.525-535,2006.
- M.C.de Rijk,L.J.Launer,K.Berger et al.,"Prevalence of Parkinson’s disease in Europe: a collaborative study of population-based cohorts," Neurology,vol.54,no.11,supplement 5,pp.S21 S23,2000.
- J.Jankovic,"Parkinson’s disease: clinical features and diagnosis," Journal of Neurology,Neurosurgery and Psychiatry,vol.79,no.4,pp.368 376,2007.
- A.K.Ho,R.Iansek,C.Marigliani,J.L.Bradshaw,and S.Gates,"Speech impairment in a large sample of patients with Parkinson’s disease," Behavioral Neurology,vol.11,no.3,pp.131-137,1998.
- J.A.Logemann,H.B.Fisher,B.Boshes,and E.R.Blonsky,"Frequency and co-occurrence of vocal tract dysfunctions in the speech of a large sample of Parkinson patients," Journal of Speech and Hearing Disorders,vol.43,no.1,pp.47-57,1978.
- M.A.Little,P.E.McSharry,S.J.Roberts,D.A.E.Costello,and I.M.Moroz,"Exploiting nonlinear recurrence and fractal scaling properties for voice disorder detection," BioMedical Engineering OnLine,vol.6,article 23,2007.
- M.A.Little,P.E.McSharry,E.J.Hunter,J.Spielman,and L.O.Ramig,"Suitability of dysphonia measurements for telemonitoring of Parkinson’s disease," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering,vol.56,no.4,pp.1015-1022,2009.
- J.Duffy,Motor Speech Disorders: Substrates,Differential Diagnosis,and Management,Mosby,St.Louis,Mo,USA,3rd edition,2012.
- M.McNeil,Clinical Management of Sensorimotor Speech Disorders,Thieme,Stuttgart,Germany,2nd edition,2008.
- R.J.Baken and R.F.Orlikoff,Clinical Measurement of Speech and Voice,Cengage Learning,2nd edition,1999.
- P.H.Dejonckere,P.Bradley,P.Clemente et al.,"A basic protocol for functional assessment of voice pathology,especially for investigating the efficacy of (phonosurgical) treatments and evaluating new assessment techniques: guideline elaborated by the Committee on Phoniatrics of the European Laryngological Society (ELS)," European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology,vol.258,no.2,pp.77-82,2001.
- B.E.Sakar,M.E.Isenkul,C.O.Sakar et al.,"Collection and analysis of a Parkinson speech dataset with multiple types of sound recordings," IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics,vol.17,no.4,pp.828-834,2013.
- A.Tsanas,M.A.Little,P.E.McSharry,J.Spielman,and L.O.Ramig,"Novel speech signal processing algorithms for highaccuracy classification of Parkinsons disease," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering,vol.59,no.5,pp.1264-1271,2012.
- A.Tsanas,M.A.Little,P.E.McSharry,and L.O.Ramig,"Accurate telemonitoring of Parkinson’s disease progression by noninvasive speech tests," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering,vol.57,no.4,pp.884-893,2010.
- C.O.Sakar and O.Kursun,"Telediagnosis of Parkinson’s disease using measurements of dysphonia," Journal of Medical Systems,vol.34,no.4,pp.591-599,2010.
- B.Shahbaba and R.Neal,"Nonlinear models using dirichlet process mixtures," Journal of Machine Learning Research,vol.10,pp.1829-1850,2009.
- R.Das,"A comparison of multiple classification methods for diagnosis of Parkinson disease," Expert Systems with Applications,vol.37,no.2,pp.1568-1572,2010.
- P.-F.Guo,P.Bhattacharya,and N.Kharma,"Advances in detecting Parkinson’s disease," in Medical Biometrics,vol.6165 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science,pp.306-314,Springer,Berlin,Germany,2010.
- P.Luukka,"Feature selection using fuzzy entropy measures with similarity classifier," Expert Systems with Applications,vol.38,no.4,pp.4600-4607,2011.
- D.-C.Li,C.-W.Liu,and S.C.Hu,"A fuzzy-based data transformation for feature extraction to increase classification performance with small medical data sets," Artificial Intelligence in Medicine,vol.52,no.1,pp.45-52,2011.
- A.Ozcift and A.Gulten,"Classifier ensemble construction with rotation forest to improve medical diagnosis performance of machine learning algorithms," Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine,vol.104,no.3,pp.443-451,2011.
- F.Astrom and R.Koker,"A parallel neural network approach to prediction of Parkinson’s Disease," Expert Systems with Applications,vol.38,no.10,pp.12470-12474,2011.
- K.Polat,"Classification of Parkinson’s disease using feature weighting method on the basis of fuzzy C-means clustering,"International Journal of Systems Science,vol.43,no.4,pp.597- 609,2012.
- H.-L.Chen,C.-C.Huang,X.-G.Yu et al.,"An efficient diagnosis system for detection of Parkinson’s disease using fuzzy k-nearest neighbor approach," Expert Systems with Applications,vol.40,no.1,pp.263-271,2013.
- W.-L.Zuo,Z.-Y.Wang,T.Liu,and H.-L.Chen,"Effective detection of Parkinson’s disease using an adaptive fuzzy k nearest neighbor approach," Biomedical Signal Processing and Control,vol.8,no.4,pp.364-373,2013.
- O.Kursun,E.Gumus,A.Sertbas,and O.V.Favorov,"Selection of vocal features for Parkinson’s Disease diagnosis," International Journal of Data Mining and Bioinformatics,vol.6,no.2,pp.144-161,2012.
- I.Bhattacharya and M.Bhatia,"SVM classification to distinguish Parkinson disease patients," in Proceedings of the 1st Amrita ACM-W Celebration on Women in Computing in India(A2CWiC ’10),New Delhi,India,2010.
- L.O.Ramig,S.Sapir,C.Fox,and S.Countryman,"Changes in vocal loudness following intensive voice treatment (LSVT_) in individuals with Parkinson’s disease: a comparison with untreated patients and normal age-matched controls," Movement Disorders,vol.16,no.1,pp.79 83,2001.
- J.Gibbons,Nonparametric Statistical Inference,Chapman & Hall/CRC,5th edition,2010.
- M.Hollander and D.A.Wolfe,Nonparametric Statistical Methods,JohnWiley & Sons,New York,NY,USA,3rd edition,2013.
- M.M.Kendall,Rank Correlation Methods,Griffin,London,UK.
- Syed Mohammad Ali And P.T.Karule,"Design Of System For Classification Of Vocal Cord/Glottis Carcinoma Using ANN And Support Vector Machine," International Journal Of Computer Applications (0975-8887) Volume132- no.4,dec-15.
- Mohammad Shahbakhi,Danial Taheri Far,Ehsan Tahami,"Speech Analysis for Diagnosis of Parkinson’sDisease Using Genetic Algorithm and Support Vector Machine," J.Biomedical Science and Engineering,2014,7,pp.147-156.
Published in : Volume 4 | Issue 5 | March-April 2018
Date of Publication : 2018-04-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 36-45
Manuscript Number : IJSRST1841360
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Amreen Saifer, Dr. S. M. Ali, "A Review On Parkinson's Disease Diagnosis Through Speech", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 4, Issue 5, pp.36-45, March-April-2018.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST1841360