Home > Archives > IJSRST1841362
Seasonal Variation Of The Proximate Composition of A Gobiid Fish Oxyurichthys Tentacularis, Gobiidae (Valenciennes, 1837) From Ashtamudi Lake- Kerala
Authors(3) :-Remya Mohan, Vishnu Nair M. S, Sherly Williams E.
The value of fish as health food is well known, but poorly documented. Fish is the cheapest animal protein that is accessible to the poors and it is aptly called the 'rich food of the poor. Small indigenous fishes are known to be micronutrient rich and they are also cheap sources of quality animal proteins. But in spite of all these advantages of consuming fish, its nutritive value is not well documented. Oxyurichthys tentacularis is one of the most demanded food fish of Ashtamudi lake. The present study focused on the seasonal variation of protein, lipids, carbohydrates, minerals of Oxyurichthys tentacularis were recorded. The results indicate that the protein content depends on season. The frequency of changes in the composition of biochemical constituents of any organism varies with variation of environmental changes. The results also showed that Oxyurichthys tentacularis is a low fat high protein fish. In the present study the results clearly showed that there is considerable variation in the proximate composition of male and female fish O. tentacularis in different seasons.
Remya Mohan, Vishnu Nair M. S, Sherly Williams E.
Oxyurichthys Tentacularis, Proximate Composition, Seasonal Variation Ashtamudi Estuary
- Ackman, R. G. 1989. Nutritional composition in seafoods. Progress in Food and Nutrition Sci., 13: 161-240.
- Andrew, A. E. 2001. Fish processing Technology. University of Horin press. Nigeria., 7-8 pp..
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods Analysis (15th edn). Association of Official Analytical Chemists: Washington D.C.
- Chamundeshwari,D., Vijayaragahwan,S. 2001. Biochemical composition of carcass, muscle and liver of Labeo rohita fed on soyabean and Glycine based diets with lysine and methionine. J. Aqua. Biol.,6(2):81-83.
- Connell, J. J. 1975. Control of Fish Quality, Fishing News Books Ltd., England ,180 pp
- Dabrowski, K. 1978. The density and chemical composition of fish muscle. Experientia, 34(10), 1263-1265.
- Huss, H. H. 1995. Quality and quality changes in fresh fish. FAO Fisheries Technical
- Italiana delle Scienze Veterinarie 43, 669-674.
- Love, R. M. 1 970. The chemical biology of fishes.Academic Press, New York. 547 pp.
- Mazumder M, Rahman S. A, Ahmed M. M, Begum, M and Hossain M, A. 2008. Proximate Composition of Some Small Indigenous Fish Species (SIS) in Bangladesh. Int. J. Sustain. Crop Prod. 3:18-23.
- Nazrul,I. M., Razzaq, M. A. 2005. Seasonal Variation of Proximate Composition of Fresh Water Gobi, Glossogobius giuris (Hamilton) from the River Padma. Pakistan. J. of Biological Sciences., 8(4): 532-536.
- Nunes, M. L., Batisa ,I., Morcio de Campos, R. 1992. Physical, chemical and sensory analysis of sardine (Sardine pilchardis) stored in ice. J.of the Sci. of Food and Agriculture, 59: 37-43.
- Obodai E. A., Abbey, l. D. And Maccarthy, C. 2009. Biochemical composition of some marine fish species of Ghana. Int. J. Biol. Chem. Sci.,3(2): 406-409.
- Ravichandran S., Kumaravel K., Pamela Florence, E. 2011. Nutritive Composition of Some Edible Fin Fishes. Inter. J. Zool. Res. 7:241-251.
- Rubbi, S. F, Mujibar M, Khan A, R. , Jahan S, S. and Majeda, B. 1987. Proximate composition and quality of some commercial species of fresh water fish. Bangladesh J. Sci. 5:1-20.
- Sandhya M. P and Smita R. S 2013. Fish muscle protein highes source of energy. Int. J. Biodivers. Conserv.,5(7):433-435.
- Sheril. S. and Hindumathy, C. K. 2013. Chemical composition and amino acid profile of Sardinella longiceps collected from Western coastal areas of Kerala, India. J. Biol. Earth Sci; 3(1): B1 29- B134
- Somvanshi V. S., 1987. Seasonal changes in the biochemical com-position of a hillstream fish Garra mullya (Sykes). Indian J. fish. 30:55-60.
- Stansby, M. E. 1962. Proximate composition of fish. In:Fish in Nutrition (Eds. E. Heen, R. Kreuzer) pp. 55-60, Fishing News Books Ltd, London.
- Takama, K., Love, R. M. and Smith, G. L. 1985. Selectivity in mobilisation of stored Technical Report NMFS Circular 432, FAO Fisheries Synopsis 118.
Published in : Volume 4 | Issue 5 | March-April 2018
Date of Publication : 2018-04-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 151-155
Manuscript Number : IJSRST1841362
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Remya Mohan, Vishnu Nair M. S, Sherly Williams E., "Seasonal Variation Of The Proximate Composition of A Gobiid Fish Oxyurichthys Tentacularis, Gobiidae (Valenciennes, 1837) From Ashtamudi Lake- Kerala", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 4, Issue 5, pp.151-155, March-April-2018.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST1841362