Home > Archives > IJSRST1841363
Effect of Different Cadmium Concentrations on Seed Germination of Ocimum basilicum L. (Sweet Basil)
Authors(2) :-Ankit Samuel Singh, Eugenia P. Lal
Cadmium is one of the harmful heavy metal, which causes significant influences in the process of seed germination. The present study evaluated the influence of different cadmium concentrations viz 20, 40, 60, 80 & 100 mg/litre of double distilled water, on seed germination percentage, seedling vigour index and plumule & radicle length of Ocimum basilicum L. seedling. The results indicated that increase in level of cadmium concentration, causes significant reduction in seed germination percentage, seedling vigour index and plumule & radicle length of Ocimum basilicum L. seedling as compared to control.
Ankit Samuel Singh, Eugenia P. Lal
Heavy Metals, Cadmium, Germination, Ocimum basilicum L., Seedling.
- Claire,L. C.,Adriano,D. C.,Sajwan,K. S.,Abel,S. L.,Thoma,D. P.,Driver J. T. (1991) Effects of Selected Trace Metals on Germinating Seeds of Six Plant Species. Water Air and Soil Pollution,59: 231-240.
- Di Toppi,S.L.,Gabrielli,R. (1999) Response to cadmium in higher plants,Environ. Exp. Bot,41: 105-130.
- Grayer,R.G.,Kite,G.C.,Goldstone,F.J.,Bryan,S.E.,Paton,A.,Putievsky,E. (1996) Infraspecific taxonomy and essential oil chemotypes in basil,Ocimum basilicum. Phytochemistry 43:1033-1039.
- Liu TT,Wu P,Wang LH,Zhou Q. (2011) Response of Soybean Seed Germination to Cadmium and Acid Rain,Bio Trace Elem Res,144(1-3): 1186-1196.
- Sangwan,N.S., Farooqi,A.H.A.,Shabih,F.,Sangwan,R.S. (2001) Regulation of essential oil production in plants,Plant Growth Regul. 34: 3-21.
- White,P.J.,Brown,P.H. (2010) Plant nutrition for sustainable development and global health,Ann. Bot. 105:1073-1080.
Published in : Volume 4 | Issue 5 | March-April 2018
Date of Publication : 2018-04-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 51-54
Manuscript Number : IJSRST1841363
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Ankit Samuel Singh, Eugenia P. Lal, "Effect of Different Cadmium Concentrations on Seed Germination of Ocimum basilicum L. (Sweet Basil)", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 4, Issue 5, pp.51-54, March-April-2018
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST1841363