Home > Archives > IJSRST184138
Effectiveness of Mind Mapping Technique in Teaching Science to Secondary School Students in Relation to Their Academic Achievement
Authors(1) :-Anil Kumar
What is science and how does it grow are the basic questions which all students of science must understand. Since the very dawn of civilization, man was curious to know about the things around him. The curiosity of man to know about nature and unveil its mysteries led to establishment of certain knowledge based upon facts. He also tried to understand its laws and utilize them to his daily life. Genius persons, by their persistent efforts, careful experimentation and exact reasoning have collected a mass of information. So the present study shows that how mind mapping techniques affect the students’ achievement.
Mind Mapping, Teaching, Scoence, Techniques, Secondary School Students, Academic Achievement
- Abi-El-Mona, I. and Adb-El-Khalick, F. (2008), ‘The influence of Mind Mapping on eighth graders’ science achievement’. School Science and Mathematics.
- Anusekar (1995)has defined scientific attitude as ‘open-mindedness, a desire for accurate knowledge ,confidence in procedures for seeking knowledge ,confidence in procedures for seeking knowledge and the expectation that the solution of the problem will come through the use of verified knowledge, Manual for Scientific Attitude Scale.
- Budd, J. W. (2004),‘Mind Maps as Classroom Exercises’. Journal of Economic Education, Vol. 35, No. 1, pp 35-49.
- Cain, M. E. (2001/2002), ‘Using Mind Maps to raise standards in literacy improve confidence and encourage positive attitudes towards learning’. Study conducted at Newchurch Community Primary School, Warrington.
- Diederich (1967) developed an instrument to measure scientific attitude in which he used twenty components to define scientific attitude, Manual for Scientific Attitude Scale.
- Gauld,C.F., Hukeins (1980), A scientific Attitude, Journal Article, formation.
- Goodnough, K. and Long, R. (2002), ‘Mind Mapping: A Graphic Organizer for the Pedagogical Toolbox’. Science Scope, Vol. 25, No. 8, pp 20-24.??
- Goodnough, K. and Woods, R. (2002), ‘Student and Teacher Perceptions of Mind Mapping: A Middle School Case Study’. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of American Educational Research Association, New Orleans.?
- Hough, L.W. & Piper. M.P. (1982), The relationship between attitude towards science & science achievement. Journal of Research in Science Teaching.
- Longitudinal study of American youth, Journal of science education & technology, 12 (4), 439-448.
- Mind Map noun definition in the British English Dictionary & Thesaurus Cambridge Dictionaries Online. Dictionary.cambridge.org. Retrieved 20130710.
- MindTools.com. (2011). Rebuilding Morale. [Online]. Available from: http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/morale.htm. [Accessed: August 12, 2011].
- Polsen, K. (2003/2004), ‘How Do Pupils and Teachers View the Use of Mind Mapping in Learning & Teaching?’ G.T.C Scotland Teacher Researcher Programme.??
- Sharma R.C. (1990) Modern Science Teaching, Published by Dhanpat Rai & Sons, Delhi ? Jullundhar.
- Srivastava (1980)given the major components of scientific attitude as rationality, curiosity, open mindedness, aversion to superstitions, objectivity, intellectual honesty, suspended judgment, cause and effect relationship seeks evidences and evaluation, Manual for Scientific Attitude Scale.
- Thangarajathi S., “Effectiveness of Mind Mapping Technique in Teaching Mathematics”, published byEdu Tracks - A monthly scanner of trends in Education, September 2008, vol.8 No.1
- Victor (1935)constructed an instrument based on the definition of six components of the scientific attitude, Manual for Scientific Attitude Scale.
- Varghese (1986)An investigation into the relationship between Science Interest, Attitude Towards Science & Achievement In Chemistry at secondary school pupils in Kerala,? Unpublished M.Ed. Dissertation, University of Calicut, Calicut.
- Yadav N. (2013)Concept acquisition in chemistry in relation to attitude towards science on secondary school students in Sonipat, Unpublished M.Ed. Dissertation, University of MDU, Rohtak.
Published in : Volume 4 | Issue 2 | January-February 2018
Date of Publication : 2018-02-28
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 76-83
Manuscript Number : IJSRST184138
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Anil Kumar, "Effectiveness of Mind Mapping Technique in Teaching Science to Secondary School Students in Relation to Their Academic Achievement", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 4, Issue 2, pp.76-83, January-February-2018.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST184138