Home > Archives > IJSRST1841381
Below Ground Biomass of a Grassland Community of Rairangpur in the District of Mayurbhanj, Odisha
Authors(2) :-B. N. Chawpattanayak, Kamal L. Barik
The below ground biomass of a grassland community of Rairangpur (860 11’ 45’’ E ; 220 16’ 45’’N) in the district of Mayurbhanj, Odisha was studied following “Short term harvest method” as proposed by Odum . The below ground biomass value of the experimental site was found to be maximum in the month of April (615.73 g m-2) and minimum in the month of August (406.82 g m-2). The below ground biomass of the community exhibited an increasing trend from January to April. Thereafter, the value showed a gradual decrease in trend till August. Again, an increasing trend in below ground biomass value was observed from August till the end of the sampling period. Compared to other grassland community, the mean below ground biomass value of the present study did not show similarity. This might be due to the variation in topography, geographical distribution, species composition, climatic conditions, and soil characteristics, rate of decomposition and biotic interference of the locality.
B. N. Chawpattanayak, Kamal L. Barik
Grassland, Community, Biomass, Below Ground
- Odum, E.P., Organic production and turnover in the old field succession. Ecology, 41 39-49 (1960).
- Ovington, J.D., Heitkamp, D. and Lawrence, D.B., Plant biomass and productivity of Prairie, Savana, Oakwood and Maize field ecosystems in central Minnesota. Ecol, 44 52-63 (1963).
- Wiegert, R.G., and F.C., Evans, Primary production and the disappearance of dead vegetation in a old field in South-East Michigan. Ecol. 45 : 49-63 (1964).
- Dahlman, R.C. and Kucera, C.L. Root productivity and turnover in native Prairie. Ecol, 46 : 84-89 (1965).
- Singh, J.S., Seasonal variation in composition, plant biomass and primary production in grassland at Varanasi, Ph.D. Thesis. BHU, Varanasi (1967).
- Kelley, J.M., Opstrup, P.A., Olson, J. S., Auerbach, S.L., Vandyne, G.M., Models of seasonal productivity in eastern Tennessee. Festuca and Andropogn ecosystem, Oak Ridge National Lab. Report, 4310 : 296 (1969).
- Jain, S. K. and Misra, G. P., Changes in underground biomass and annual increment in upland grassland of Sagar. Trop. Ecol. 13 : 131-138 (1972).
- Choudhury, V.B., Seasonal variation is standing crop and net above ground production in Dichanthium annulatum grassland at Varasani, In : Tropical Ecology with an emphasis on organic production, P. M. Golley and F. B. Golley (eds.), Univ. of Georgia, Athens. 51-57 (1972).
- Misra, C.M., Primary productivity of a grassland ecosystem at Ujjain, Ph.D. Thesis, Vikram Univ., Ujjain (1973).
- Mall, L.P. and Billore, S.K., Dry matter structure and its dynamics in Sehima grassland community. I. Dry matter structure. Trop. Ecol. 15 : 108-118 (1974).
- Singh, U.N., and Ambasht, R.S., Biotic stress and variability in structure and organic (net primary) production of grassland communities at Varanasi, India. Torp. Ecol. 16 : 86-95 (1975).
- Trivedi, B.K., Misra, G.P., Seasonal variation in species composition, plant biomass and net community production of two grasslands in Sehima, Dichanthium cover type. Trop. Ecol. 20 : 114-125 (1979).
- Rath, S.P., Composition, productivity and energetics of grazed and ungrazed grassland of Berhampur, Ph.D. Thesis, Berhampur University, Berhampur, Orissa, India (1980).
- Tiwari, S.C. Variation in primary production of Garhwal Himalayan grasslands, Trop. Ecol. 27 : 166-173 (1986).
- Pradhan, G.B. and Das, M.C., Seasonal variation in plant biomass and net primary productivity of a Savanna type hill ecosystem of Sambalpur, India. Trop. Ecol. 25 : 172-178 (1984).
- Misra, M.K. and Misra, B.N., Biomass and primary production in Indian grassland. Trop. Ecol. 25 : 239-247 (1984).
- Naik, B.K., Phytosociology and primary production of a natural grassland community of western Orissa. Ph.D. Thesis, Sambalpur University, Sambalpur, Orissa (1985).
- Patnaik, S K., Ecological studies of an upland coastal grassland of South Orissa. Ph. D. Thesis, Berhampur University, Berhampur, Orissa, India (1993).
- Pradhan, D., Primary production and phytosociology of a grassland community of Bhubaneswar. Ph. D. Thesis, Berhampur University, Berhampur, Orissa (1994).
- Behera, B.K., Community structure, primary production and energetic of a grassland community of Boudh-Kandhamal (Dist-Phulbani) in Orissa, Ph D. Thesis, Berhampur University, Berhampur, Orissa (1994).
- Pucheta, E., Bonamici, I., Cabido, M., and Diaza, S., Below ground biomass and productivity of a grazed site and a neighbouring ungrazed exclosure in a grassland in central Argentina. Austral Ecol. 29 : 201-208 (2004).
- Barik, K.L., Ecological analysis of an upland grassland community of Eastern Orissa, India. Ekologia. 5 : 1-2, 137-150 (2006).
- Chawpattnayak, B.N and Barik, K.L., Phytodiversity of a grassland community of Rairangpur in the district of Mayurbhanj, Odisha. IJSRSET. 1 : 1, 106-110 (2014).
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 1 | March-April 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-03-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 85-89
Manuscript Number : IJSRST1841381
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
B. N. Chawpattanayak, Kamal L. Barik, "Below Ground Biomass of a Grassland Community of Rairangpur in the District of Mayurbhanj, Odisha", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 1, pp.85-89, March-April-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST1841381