Home > Archives > IJSRST184153
Effect of UV - B Radiation on Plants
Authors(1) :-B. R. Gadi
UV-B is a biologically active portion of ultraviolet light that has significant effects on the development and metabolism of plants. Despite it being a small component of sunlight, it can be damaging to many higher plant species and can cause mutations, damage to genetic material, reductions in photosynthetic activity, lower electron transfer rates, smaller shoot biomass, decreased leaf size, leaf number, and reductions in chlorophyll content, biomass and ultimately plant productivity. At the cellular level, it initially causes oxidative stress by increasing the reactive oxygen species (ROS) levels, which subsequently damage to proteins, lipids, and other biomolecules, thus, compromising the functionality and integrity of enzymes and cell membranes. Exposure to UV-B is obligatory for higher plants because of the need to maximize light capture for photosynthesis.UV-B radiation significantly increases enzymatic and non enzymatic antioxidants, cytosolutes (proline,sugars glycine betane), secondary metabolites and bioactive compounds for survival of plants. Plant Growth Regulators (PGRs) play important role in mitigating adverse effects of the radiation in plants. Plants have specific signaling pathway that regulate the protective gene expression responses to UV-B required for plant survival in sunlight. Recently, genetic engineering has contributed enormously to the develop transgenic plants . The identification of UV B stress-responsive genes and their subsequent introgression or overexpression within sensitive crop species are now being widely carried out by plant scientists.
Antioxidants, Oxidative Stress, Photosynthesis, Transgenic Plants, UV B Radiation.
- Esmer,I.,Tuney,I., Ozakca, D. U. and Sukatar,A.(2017) Protective effects of polyamines against UV-A and UV-B illumination in Physcia semipinnata thalli. Botanica Serbia 41(1):17-24.
- De Lia Bessa,KM.,Armelini,M.G.,Chigancas,V.,Jacysyn,J.F.,Amarante-Mendes,G.P.,Sarasin,A., etal.,(2008).CPDs and 6-4 PPs play different roles in UV-induced cell death in normal and NER-deficient human cells. DNA Repair 7,303-312.doi:10.1016/j.dnarep.2007.11.003
- Gadi, B. R. and Bohra, S. P. (2005). Effect of plant growth regulators on photosynthesis and some biochemical parameters in ber cv. Gola. Indian J. Hort.62(3): 296-297.
- Gadi, B. R. and Gehlot, R.K. (2011). Effect of bayleton on proline content and peroxidase activity in Psoralia odorata seedlings under salt stress. . Biochem. Cell. Arch. 11(1): 275-278.
- Huang, X., Yao, J., Zhao, Y., Xie, D., Jiang, X., and Xu, Z. (2016). Efficient rutin and quercetin biosynthesis through flavonoids-related gene expression in Fagopyrum tataricum Gaertn. hairy root cultures with UV-B irradiation. Front. Plant Sci. 7:63. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2016.00063
- Hideg, É, Jansen, M. A. K., and Strid, Å. (2013). UVB exposure, ROS, and stress: inseparable companions or loosely linked associates? Trends Plant Sci. 18, 107-115.
- Hopkins, L.Bond,M.A. and Tobin ,A.K. (2002) . Ultraviolet-B radiation reduces the rates of cell division and elongation in the primary leaf wheat (Triticum aestivum L. cv Maris Huntsman). Plant, Cell , Environ., 25 :617-624.
- Kohler H, Contreras RA, Pizarro M, Cortés-Antíquera R and Zúñiga GE (2017) Antioxidant Responses Induced by UV-B Radiation in Deschampsia antarctica Desv. Front. Plant Sci. 8:921.
- Kumar,G.and Pandey A.(2017). Effect of UV-B radiation on chromosomal organization and biochemical constituents of Coriandrum sativum L. Jordan J.Biol. Sci.10(2):85-93
- Lee, M.J., Son, J.E. and Oh, M.M. 2013. Growth and phenolic content of Sowthistle grown in a closed-type plant production system with a UV-A or UV-B Lamp. Hort. Environ.Biotech., 54 (6): 492-500.
- Liang X, Zhang L, Natarajan SK and Becker DF. 2013. Proline mechanisms of stress survival. Antioxid Redox Sig, 19:998-1011.
- Liu F, Chen H and Han R. 2015. Different Doses of the Enhanced UV-B Radiation Effects on Wheat Somatic Cell Division. Cell Bio, 4:30-36.
- Lo,H.L.,Nakajima,S.,Ma,L.,Walter,B.,Yasui,A.,Ethell,D.W., etal.(2005). Differential biologic effects of CPD and 6-4PPUV-induced DNAdamage on the induction of apoptosis and cell-cycle arrest. BMC Cancer 5:135.doi: 10.1186/1471-2407-5-135
- Ma, X., Yong-Bin, O., Yong-Feng, G., Stanley, L., Tao-Tao, L., Yang W., Yong-Fu C., Yu-Fang S.,4 & Yin-An Yao1,3 Moderate salt treatment alleviates ultraviolet-B radiation caused impairment in poplar plants. Sci. Rep. 6, 32890; doi: 10.1038/srep32890.
- Mittler R. (2002) Oxidative stress, antioxidants and stress tolerance. Trends Plant Sci 7: 405-410
- Mpoloka S.W.(2008) Effects of prolonged UV-B exposure in plants. Afric. J.Biotech. 7 (25):4874-4883.
- Negi, P.N.,Sharma,V.K and Sarin ,N.B.((2015)Transgenic Tobacco Overexpressing Cytosolic Superoxide Dismutase Exhibit Enhanced Tolerance to UV-B Stress. Int. J. Innov. Res. Sci. Tech., 2 (08): 85-90.
- Rajendiran.K. and M.P. Ramanujam. M.P.(2006) Interactive effects of UV-B irradiation and triadimefon on nodulation and nitrogen metabolism in Vigna radiata plants. Biol. Plant. 50 (4): 709-712.
- Ram A,,Verma P. and Gadi B.R.(2014). Effect of Fluoride and Salicyllic Acid on Seedling Growth and Biochemical Parameters of Watermelon (Citrullus lanatus) .Fluoride .47(1) :49-55
- Rizzini, L., Favory, J.-J., Cloix, C., Faggionato, D., O’hara, A., Kaiserli, E., et al. (2011). Perception of UV-B by the Arabidopsis UVR8 protein. Science 332: 103-106.
- Saradhi, P.P., Alia Sandeep, A., Prasad, K., Arora, S., 1995. Proline accumulates in plants exposed to UV radiation and protects them against UV induced peroxidation. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 209 (1), 1-5.
- Takahashi S, Kojo K.H., Kutsuna, N., Endo, M., Toki, S., Isoda, H. and Hasezawa, S. (2015). Differential responses to high- and low-dose ultraviolet-B stress in tobacco Bright Yellow-2 cells. Front. Plant Sci. 6:254. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2015.00254
- Verma, P., Gadi, B. R. and Ram, A. (2012). Effect of Salicylic Acid on Photosynthetic Pigments and Some Biochemical Content in Vigna Seedlings under Cadmium Stress. J. Chem. Bio. Phy. Sci. 2(4):1801-1809.
- Vijayalakshmi, R. and Rajendiran, K.(2014) Impact of ultraviolet-b radiation on nodulation and nitrogen metabolism in Phaseolus vulgaris L. c.v. prevail. Int.J. Adv. Biol. Res.4(3) : 339-342.
- Yadegarim,M.(2017) Study of phytochromes effects on UV -B stress seeds of thyme species. J.Herb. Drugs, 8(2):109-115.
Published in : Volume 4 | Issue 2 | January-February 2018
Date of Publication : 2018-02-28
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 255-260
Manuscript Number : IJSRST184153
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
B. R. Gadi, "Effect of UV - B Radiation on Plants", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 4, Issue 2, pp.255-260, January-February-2018.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST184153