Home > Archives > IJSRST184156
A Study on Strength Comparison of Self Curing Concrete with Replacement of Fly Ash
Authors(3) :-R. Subrahmanya Pavan Kumar, T. Naresh Kumar, Dr. S. M. V. Narayana
Curing of concrete is defined as providing satisfactory moisture content in concrete during itís early ages in order to develop the desired properties of Concrete. Self-curing Concrete is one type of modern concrete, which cure itself by retaining moisture content. And the concept of self-curing will reduce the evaporation of water from Concrete. Concrete is most widely used construction material due to itís good compressive strength and durability. Depending upon the nature of work the cement, fine aggregate, coarse aggregate and water are mixed in specific proportions to produce plain concrete. Plain concrete needs congenial atmosphere by providing moisture for a minimum period of 28 days for good hydration and to attain desired strength. The strength and durability of concrete depends on curing. The cement hydration problem due to improper curing, which can be successfully overcome by using self-curing concrete. Hence no traditional way of Curing is required in self-curing concrete. Self-curing concrete can be used where curing is a constraint because of inadequacy of water, fluoride content in water which affects concrete charecterstics and where structures cannot be accessed for curing. In conventional curing this is achieved by external supply of water after mixing, placing and finishing of concrete. In practice, conventional type of Curing is difficult to perform as it shall need a large amount of water, meanwhile scarcity of potable water increases day by day. In order to overcome that problem as well as achieve curing. In the experiment replacement of fly ash in cement with 10%,15%,20%,and 25%. It is found that replacement of fly ash by 20% gives more strength and durability when compared to other percentages. The present study self-curing agents such as polyethylene Glycol (PEG) and super absorbent polymer (SAP) are used individually with fly ash in concrete. That self-curing is helps in better hydration and strength. Effect of these agents on strength properties of concrete such as Compressive strength, split tensile strength and flexural strengths are studied. And grade of concrete is M30 is used in this work. The main aim of this work is to study the mechanical properties of concrete with SAP&PEG. M30 grade of concrete is considered as reference mix and strength properties of reference mix are determined. The use of self-curing agents percentages of PEG (1%,1.5%,2%,2.5%) and SAP (0.2%,0.3%,0.4&0.5%) by weight of cement are added separately in the reference mix. Finally strength properties are studied and compared to normal concrete.
R. Subrahmanya Pavan Kumar, T. Naresh Kumar, Dr. S. M. V. Narayana
Polyethylene Glycol, Super Absorbent Polymer,Flyash, Compressive Strength, Split Tensile Strength, Flexural Strength.
- DejianShen, Huafeng Shi, Xiaojian Tang, Yong Ji, Guoqing Jiang  "Effect of internal curing with super absorbent polymers on residual stress development and stress relaxation in restrained concrete ring specimens"Construction and Building Materials 120 (2016) 309–320.
- Chiwon Song, Young Cheol Choi, Seongcheol Choi "Effect of internal curing by Super Absorbent Polymers – Internal Relative Humidity and Autogenous Shrinkage of alkali-activated slag mortars" Construction and Building Materials 123 (2016) 198–206.
- Patel ManishkumarDahyabhai, Prof.Jayeshkumar, R. Pitroda  "Self-curing concrete: new technique for concrete curing - a literature review". Journal Of International Academic Research For Multidisciplinary Impact Factor 1.393, Volume 1, Issue 9, October 2013.
- M.V.Jagannadha Kumar, M. Srikanth, K. JagannadaRao  "strength, Characteristics of selfcuring concrete" IJRET ,Vol: 1, Issue:1,pp 51-57, September 2012.
- Sri Rama Chand Madduru, Swamy Naga RatnaGiriPallapothu, Rathish Kumar Pancharathi,Rajesh Kumar Garje, RaveenaChakilam  "Effect of self-curing chemicals in self compacting mortars" Construction and Building Materials 107 (2016) 356–364.
- A.AielsteinRozario, Dr.C.Freeda Christy, M.HannahAngelin  "Experimental Studies on Effects of Sulphate Resistance on Self-Curing Concrete" International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT) ISSN: 2278-0181 Vol. 2 Issue 4, April 2013.
- K.Vedhasakthi1, M. Saravanan  "Development of normal strength and high strength self-curing concrete using super absorbing polymers (sap) and comparison of strength characteristics". IJRET: International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology, vol.3, issue.10 pISSN: 2321-7308. Oct-2014
- KamathamRadhakrishna, K. Rajasekhar  "An experimental investigation on selfcured concrete". International Journal of Advanced technology in engineering and science vol. No.3, issue.9, September 2015.
- P.Muthukumar, K. Suganyadevi  "Flexural behaviour of self compactingself-curing concrete beam". International Journal On Engineering Technology and Sciences – IJETS ISSN (P): 2349-3968, ISSN (O): 2349-3976 Volume 2 Issue 4, April -2015.
- Amal Francis k, Jino John  "Experimental investigation on mechanical properties of self-curing concrete". International Journal of Emerging Trends in Engineering and Development, Issue 3, Vol.2 (March 2013), ISSN 2249-6149.
- Nirav R Kholia, Prof.BinitaAVyas, Prof. T.G. Tank  "Effect on concrete by different curing method and efficiency of curing compounds – a review". International Journal of Advanced Engineering Technology, vol.4, issue.2. E-ISSN 0976-3945. April-June 2013.
- Magda I. self-curing concrete (SCUC)". HBRC Journal (2015) 11, 167–175.
- J. Saran behaviour of m25 concrete mix". International journal of engineering research-online Vol .3 Issue.5, ISSN:2321-7758, Sep-Oct 2015.
- Ms. Akanksha A. Patil, Prof. M. R. Vyawahare  "Comparative study on compressive strength of Self cured SCCand Normally cured SCC". Int. Journal of Engineering Research and Applications. Vol.4, issue.11. November-2014.
Published in : Volume 4 | Issue 2 | January-February 2018
Date of Publication : 2018-02-28
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 305-314
Manuscript Number : IJSRST184156
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
R. Subrahmanya Pavan Kumar, T. Naresh Kumar, Dr. S. M. V. Narayana, "A Study on Strength Comparison of Self Curing Concrete with Replacement of Fly Ash", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 4, Issue 2, pp.305-314, January-February-2018
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST184156