Home > Archives > IJSRST184193
Heat Transfer Analysis of CANDU 6 Nuclear Reactor using Supercritical Carbon-Dioxide Considering Brayton Cycle
Authors(3) :-Lakshmana Kishore T, Dr. Kiran Chaudhari, Dr. G. Ranga Janardhana
Currently available CANDU 6 nuclear reactor uses heavy water as working fluid and contains two circuits â€“ Primary and Secondary Circuits, one for heat input and the other for the power generation. In order to increase the heat transfer and for better performance, supercritical fluids (SCFâ€™s) are selected as the working fluid. Using supercritical fluids instead of two circuits, one circuit is sufficient for both heat input and power generation. Supercritical carbondioxide is used as the working fluid and Brayton cycle is considered for the design and analysis of the circuit. The pressure drop and the various factors affecting the heat transfer are analysed. Optimization of Pressure is carried out for the circuit. The circuit end states, thermal efficiency and number of pressure tubes are finalized for simple, Regenerative, Regeneration with intercooling and Regeneration split Brayton cycle.
Lakshmana Kishore T, Dr. Kiran Chaudhari, Dr. G. Ranga Janardhana
Nuclear Reactor, Pressure Tube, Supercritical Fluids, Brayton Cycle
- Lakshmana Kishore.T , Dr. Kiran Chaudhari , Dr. G. Ranga Janardhana, "Computational Characterization of Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer in the Pressure Tube of CANDU 6 Nuclear Reactor with Supercritical CO2," International Journal of Engineering and Technology,Volume 9 Issue 3 June-July 2017, pg.2225-2235.
- Lakshmana Kishore.T , Dr. Kiran Chaudhari , Dr. G. Ranga Janardhana, "Heat Transfer And Fluid Flow Analysis Of Pressure Tube In Candu 6 Nuclear Reactor Using Supercritical Water," SSRG International Journal of Mechanical Engineering (SSRG-IJME) – Special Issue May - 2017, pg.153-158.
- Wm. J. Garland, "A text book on the CANDU Nuclear Power Plant Technology", The Essential CANDU, ISBN 0-9730040.
- Dr. Robin Chaplin, "Genealogy of CANDU Reactors," The Essential CANDU, Chapter 2, ISBN 0-9730040, Dec., 2016.
- Chun K. Chow, and Hussam F. Khartabil, "CONCEPTUAL FUEL CHANNEL DESIGNS FOR CANDU-SCWR,"Nuclear Engineering and Technology, vol.40, Special issue on the 3rd International Symposium on SCWR, Nov. 15, 1999.
- NASA Polynomial format for CHEMKIN-II, GRI-Mech Version 3.0 Thermodynamics released 7/30/99.
- http://webbook.nist.gov/, 2016.
- Alexandru CATANA, Ilie PRISECARU, Daniel DUPLEAC, and Danila NICOLAE, "COMPUTATIONAL FLIUD DYNAMIC APPROACH FOR CANDU6 AND ACR1000 FUEL CHANNEL COOLANT FLOW," ISSN 1454-2358, U.P.B. Sci. Bull., Series D, Vol. 72, Iss. 1, 2010.
- K. Podila, Y.F. Rao, "CFD analysis of flow and heat transfer in Canadian supercritical water reactor bundle," ELSEVIER, 2014.
- Chun K. Chow, and Hussam F. Khartabil, "CONCEPTUAL FUEL CHANNEL DESIGNS FOR CANDU-SCWR," Nuclear Engineering and Technology, vol.40, Special issue on the 3rd International Symposium on SCWR, Nov. 15, 1999.
- R.B. Duffey, I.L. Pioro, B.A. Gabaraev and Yu. N. Kuznetsov, "SCW Pressure-Channel Nuclear Reactors: Some Design Features", the 14th International Conf. on Nuclear Engineering (ICONE-14), Paper 89609, 2006.
- T. Schulenberg, L.K.H. Leung, D. Barady, Y. Oka and K. Yamada, "Supercritical Water-cooled Reactor (SCWR) Development through GIF Collaboration", IAEA-CN-164-5S06.
- Metin Yetisir, Michel Gaudet, Jeremy Pencer, Michael McDonald, David Rhodes, Holly Hamilton, and Laurence Leung, "CANADIAN SUPERCRITICAL WATER-COOLED REACTOR CORE CONCEPT AND SAFETY FEATURES", Canadian Nuclear Laboratories, Stn 42, Chalk River, ON K0j 1P0, Canada.
- D.F. Wang and S. Wang, "A PRELIMINARY CATHENA THERMALHYDRAULIC MODEL OF THE CANADIAN SCWR FOR SAFETY ANALYSIS", Atomic Energy of Canada Limited, Chalk River, ON K0J 1J0, Canada.
- Ajoy Debbarma, K.M Pandey, Procedia Engineering 64 (2013) 507 – 517 "Numerical Analysis of Flow and Heat transfer in Sub-channel of Supercritical Water Reactor".
- Guoli Tang, Hang Shi, Yuxin Wu, Junfu Lu, Zhouhang Li, Qing Liu, Hai Zhang, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 102 (2016) 1082–1092 "A variable turbulent Prandtl number model for simulating supercritical pressure CO2 heat transfer".
- Yoon Y. Bae, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 92 (2016) 792–806 "A new formulation of variable turbulent Prandtl number for heat transfer to supercritical fluids".
- K. Dobashi, A. Kimura, Y. Oka and S. Koshizuka, Nuclear Engineering laboratory, The University of Tokyo, Ibraki 319-11,Japan "Conceptual Design of High Temperature Power Reactor Cooled and Moderated by Supercritical Light Water".
- Lina Zhang, Minshan Liu, Qiwu Dong, Songwei Zhao, Energy and Power Engineering, 2011, 3, 167-173 "Numerical Research of Heat Transfer of Supercritical CO2 in Channels".
- Hongzhi Li, Yifan Zhang, Lixin Zhang, Mingyu Yao, Alan Kruizenga, Mark Anderson, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 98 (2016) 204–218 "PDF-based modeling on the turbulent convection heat transfer of supercritical CO2 in the printed circuit heat exchangers for the supercritical CO2 Brayton cycle".
- Mohammad Mizanur Rahman , Ji Dongxu , Mehrdad Shahmohammadi Beni , Ho Choi Hei , Weidong He , Jiyun Zhao, Annals of Nuclear Energy 97 (2016) 53–65 "Supercritical water heat transfer for nuclear reactor applications".
- Dimmick, G.R., Spinks, N.J., Duffey, R., 1998. "An advanced CANDU reactor with supercritical water coolant: conceptual design features", Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Nuclear Engineering (ICONE-6), San Diego, California, USA, May 10–15, Paper-6501.
- I.L. Pioro, H.F. Khartabil, and R.B. Duffey, "Heat Transfer to Supercritical Fluids Flowing in Channels – Empirical Correlations (Survey)", Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol. 230, No. 1–3, pp. 69–91, 2004.
Published in : Volume 4 | Issue 2 | January-February 2018
Date of Publication : 2018-02-28
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 355-360
Manuscript Number : IJSRST184193
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Lakshmana Kishore T, Dr. Kiran Chaudhari, Dr. G. Ranga Janardhana, "Heat Transfer Analysis of CANDU 6 Nuclear Reactor using Supercritical Carbon-Dioxide Considering Brayton Cycle", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 4, Issue 2, pp.355-360, January-February-2018
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST184193