Home > Archives > IJSRST1845247
Preliminary Characterization of Rhizobacterial Strains Isolated from Legume [Vigna trilobata (L.) verdc.] Root Nodules
Authors(2) :-G. Kranthi Kumar, M. Raghu Ram
Four Rhizobial strains were isolated from root nodules of Vigna trilobata (L –Verdc) plants raised in soils of different areas in Andhra Pradesh India. These strains were isolated on selective Yeast Extract Mannitol Agar (YEMA) medium. In the present study four Rhizobial strains were further subjected to physiochemical and biochemical characteristics. The Rhizobium strains were rod shaped gram negative and mucilaginous in nature. Except Rhizobium sp. MRR106 all the isolated colonies showed in white colour. Further these four strains were observed for physical conditions like pH, NaCl and temperature for their growth. Optimum conditions of these strains were at 30? C temperatures, 0.1% NaCl and a neutral pH 7.0. All the four strains were positive for biochemical tests such as ammonia production test, oxidase test, catalase test, nitrate reductase test and urease test. Except Rhizobium sp. MRR 123 all the strains showed amylase and citrate utilization tests. All these strains showed negative chemical reaction on hofer’s alkaline broth test, Ketolactose test and glucose peptone agar tests.
G. Kranthi Kumar, M. Raghu Ram
Rhizobium, Vigna trilobata, Yeast Extract Mannitol Agar
- Abo-Aba, S.E.M; Mutwakil, M. Z; AL-Ahmadi, T. M. (2015). Isolation and characterization of heat and salt tolerance Rhizobium isolated from Saudi Arabia. Journal of American Science 11(2):150-156.
- Ali, S. F., Rawat. L., S., Meghvansi, M. K. & Mahna, S. K. (2009) Selection of stress-tolerant rhizobial isolates of wild legumes growing in dry regions of Rajasthan, India. ARPN J. Agric. Biol. Sci. 4:13-18.
- Allen, O.N. and Allen, E.K. (1981) The leguminoseae. "A Source book of characteristics, uses and nodulation". The University of Wisconsin Press, Madison, Wisc. U.S.A. pp. 341-351.
- Aneja, K.R., (2003).Experiments in Microbiology Plant Pathology and Biotechnology 4th edition, New Age International Publishers, New Delhi, India.
- Deka, A.K., and Azad, P., (2006). Isolation of rhizobium strains : cultural And biochemical characteristics Legume Res., 29(3) :209 - 212.
- Gachande, B.D. and Khansole, G.S. (2011). Morphological, cultural and biochemical characteristics of Rhizobium japonicum syn. and Bradyrhizobium japonicum of' soybean. Biosci. Discov. 2(1): 1-4.
- Harwani, D. (2006). Biodiversity and efficiency of Bradyrhizobium strains are arbuscular mycorrhizoal fungi of soybean cultivars grown in Haroti region of Rajasthan. Ph.D.Thesis. Maharshi Dayanand Saraswati University, Ajmer, India.
- Kucuk. C, Merit Kivanc, Engin Kinaci, (2006). Characterization of Rhizobium sp. isolated from Bean. Turk J. Biol, 30: 127-132.
- Mensah J.K., Esumeh F., Iyamu M. and Omoifo C., (2006). Effects of different salt concentrations and pH on growth of Rhizobiumsp. and a cowpea- Rhizobium association. Am- Euras. J. agric. & Environ. Sci., 1(3): 198-202.
- Pellock BJ, Cheng HP, Walker GC (2000) Alfalfa root nodule invasion efficiency is dependent on Sinorhizobium meliloti polysaccharides. J. Bacteriol 182:310–313
- Santosh Kumar Sethi and Siba Prasad Adhikary, (2014). Growth response of region specific Rhizobium strains isolated from Arachis hypogea and Vigna radiata to different environmental variables. Afri. J. Biotechnol. 13(34): 3496-3504.
- Somasegaran P, and Hoben H.J, Handbook for rhizobia-methods in legume-rhizobium Technology, Springer-Verlag, New York.1994.
- Vincent JM (1970) A manual for the practical study of root-nodule bacteria. Oxford, Blackwell Scientific.
- Weir BS (2010). The current taxonomy of rhizobia. New Zealand rhizobia
Published in : Volume 4 | Issue 7 | March-April 2018
Date of Publication : 2018-04-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 279-284
Manuscript Number : IJSRST1845247
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
G. Kranthi Kumar, M. Raghu Ram, "Preliminary Characterization of Rhizobacterial Strains Isolated from Legume [Vigna trilobata (L.) verdc.] Root Nodules", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 4, Issue 7, pp.279-284, March-April-2018.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST1845247