Home > Archives > IJSRST184527
Reinforcement Effect on Wear Behaviour of Different Al-Alloy Composites: A Review
Authors(3) :-Rekha Ganeshkar, Ravindra L. Karwande, Pankaj K. Bhoyar
In recent years, Metal Matrix Composites (MMC) have received wider acceptance as material for components subjected to tribological applications. Therefore the use of different kind of Metal-matrix composite(MMC) material is in constant growing over the years, because MMC's have better physical, mechanical and tribological properties comparing to matrix material. Aluminium alloys are the most widely used material in engineering due to their alluring properties such as good ductility, high strength to weight ratio, availability and low cost and excellent corrosion resistance. Their applications have often been restricted because of their properties such as soft and poor wear resistance. These properties can be overcome by reinforcement of different particulates in aluminium and its alloys. After reinforcement, Aluminum Metal Matrix Composites (MMCs) have enhanced properties such as hardness, elastic modulus, improved wear resistance and tensile strength. Owing to their excellent improved properties, Aluminium Metal Matrix Composites (MMCs) are sought over other conventional materials in the field of aerospace, automotive and marine applications. Even if many developments in the tribological properties of the Metal Matrix Composites, some problems are still persist. Wear is one of the major problem in industrial applications and it needs further meticulous solutions. In this paper an attempt has been made to provide an extensive literature review on the wear behaviour of aluminum alloys on reinforcing with different reinforcements such as alumina oxide, silicon, magnesium, fibres and fly ash.
Rekha Ganeshkar, Ravindra L. Karwande, Pankaj K. Bhoyar
Metal Matrix Composites, Wear, Reinforcement
- P. K. Rohatgi and R. Guo, Mechanism of abrasive wear of Al-SiC Hypoeutectic alloy containg 5 vol% ash, Tribology letters 3 1997.
- Zhang Zhenfang, Zhang Liangchi, Mai Yiu-Wing. Modeling steady wear of steel/Al2O3 Al particle reinforced composite system. Wear 1997;211:147-50.
- Venkataraman B, Sundararajan G. Correlation between the characteristics of the mechanically mixed layer and wear behaviour of aluminium, Al-7075 alloy and Al-MMCs. Wear 2000;245:22-38.
- M. Singh et al. "Dry Sliding Wear Behaviour of an aluminium Alloy-Granite Particle Composite", Tribology International, Vol.34, 2001, pp.557-567.
- N. Natarajan , S. Vijayarangan and I. Rajendran, "Wear behaviour of A356/25SiCp aluminium matrix composites sliding against automobile friction material", Wear 261, 2006, pp.812-822.
- Huseyin Sevik et.al, "Properties of Alumina Particulate Reinforced Aluminium Alloy Produced by Pressure Die Casting", Materials and Design, Science Direct, vol. 27, 2006, pp.673-686.
- M. Ramchandra et. al., Effect of reinforcement of fly ash on sliding wear, slurry erosive wear and corrosive behavior of aluminium matrix composites, wear 262, 2007, 1450-1462.
- Manoj Singla, Lakhvir Singh, Vikas Chawla, "Study of Wear Properties of Al-SiC Composites", Journal of Minerals & Materials Characterization & Engineering, 2009, Vol.8, pp. 813-819.
- Ramesh CS, Keshavamurthy R, Channabasappa BH, Pramod S. 'Friction and wear behavior of Ni-P coated Si3N4 reinforced Al6061 composites', Tribol Int 2010;43:623-34.
- K.V. Mahendra and K. Radhakrishna, "Characterization of stir Cast Al-Cu- (fly Ash +SiC) Hybrid Metal Matrix composites", Procedia CIRP 1, SciVerse ScienceDirect, 2010, pp. 989-1005.
- Ravi Mishra, Anilkumar H.C, H. Suresh Hebbar, "Tribological Characterization of Fly Ash Reinforced Aluminium Alloy Composites", International Journal of Engineering Sciences, 2011, Vol.5, pp8-11.
- Prashant Kumar Suranginath, G.K. Purohit, "Study on Mechanical properties of Al LM6 Alloy Reinforced with SiC and Fly Ash", IOSR Journal of Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 8, 2013, pp.13-18.
- Bharat admile, S.G. Kulkarni, S. A. Sonawane," Review on Mechanical & Wear Behavior of Aluminum-FlyAsh Metal Matrix Composite", International Journal Of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering, Vol.4, 2014, pp. 863-866.
- Habibur Rahman et al. "Characterization of Silicon Carbide Reinforced aluminium Matrix Composites", Science Direct, Procedia Engineering, Vol.90, 2014, pp.103-109.
- Vijay Kumar S Maga, B.S. Motagi, "Study on Mechanical Properties of Al LM6 Alloy with Fly ash, Redmud and Silicon Carbide", IOSR Journal of mechanical engineering, Vol. II, 2014, pp.07-16.
- Ajit kumar Senapati et.al, "Use of Waste Fly Ash in Fabrication of Aluminium Alloy Matrix Composite", International Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol. 6, 2014, pp.905-912.
- Yogesh Kumar Singla, Rahul Chhibber, Hitesh Bansal and Anil Kalra, "Wear Behavior of Aluminum Alloy 6061-Based Composites Reinforced with SiC, Al2O3, and Red Mud: A Comparative Study", The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society 2015.
- U.Prakash et.al, "Study of parametric influence on dry sliding wear of Al-SiCp MMC using taguchi technique", ScienceDirect, volume 2, 2014, pp. 1825-1832.
- V. Bharathi*, M. Ramachandra, S. Srinivas "Comparison of Dry and Wet Sliding Wear Behavior of Squeeze Cast Aluminum Alloy" Indian Journal of Advances in Chemical Science S1 (2016) 101-106.
- R. N. Rao, S. Das, (2011) "Effect of SiC content and sliding speed on the wear behaviour of aluminium matrix composites", Materials and Design, 32: 1066-1071.
- G. B. Veeresh Kumar, C. S. P. Rao, N. Selvaraj, (2012) "Studies on mechanical and dry sliding wear of Al6061-SiC composites", Composites: Part B: Engineering, 43(3): 1185-1191.
- C. Walker, I. M. Ross, W. M. Rainforth, M. Lieblich, (2007) "TEM characterization of near surface deformation resulting from lubricated sliding wear of aluminium alloy and composites", Wear, 263: 707-718.
Published in : Volume 4 | Issue 5 | March-April 2018
Date of Publication : 2018-04-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 125-134
Manuscript Number : IJSRST184527
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Rekha Ganeshkar, Ravindra L. Karwande, Pankaj K. Bhoyar, "Reinforcement Effect on Wear Behaviour of Different Al-Alloy Composites: A Review ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 4, Issue 5, pp.125-134, March-April-2018.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST184527