Home > Archives > IJSRST184537
Study On Breeding and Nursery Grounds of Fishes in Netravathi - Gurupura Estuary
Authors(2) :-Murugan S, Usha Anandhi D
The breeding and nursery grounds of fishes in any estuary are highly crucial as most aquatic organisms dependent on these grounds for their breeding and early stages of development. Thus estuarine ecosystems are considered as the eco-sensitive and socio-economically important systems. The present study was conducted based on test harvest or random sampling method to know the status of present breeding sites in comparison to the interaction with local fishermen revealing the breeding locations of the last few decades. The results emphasise that the breeding and nursery grounds of fishes has drastically reduced in number and in few sites there are completely absent attributing to the increased anthropogenic activities and pollution. The outcome calls for frequent monitoring and reduction in anthropogenic disturbances in this area to bring back the ideal and natural breeding and nursery grounds which would improvise the productivity of aquatic food for the future generation.
Murugan S, Usha Anandhi D
Test Harvest, Fishermen, Anthropogenic, Pollution, Nursery Grounds.
- Ajithkumar T, Thangaradjou T and Kannan L. 2006. Physicochemical and biological properties of the Muthupettai mangrove in Tamil Nadu, Journal of Marine Biological Association of India, 48, pp 131-138.
- Arunachalam M. 2000. Assemblage structure of stream fishes in the Western Ghats (India). Hydrobiologia 430: 1-31.
- Bapurao V Jadhav, Sanjay S Kharat, Rupesh N Raut, Mandar Paingankar and Neelesh Dahanukar. 2011. Freshwater fish fauna of Koyna River, northern Western Ghats, India. Journal of Threatened Taxa, 3(1): 1449-1455.
- Barko J W, Adams M S and Clesceri N L. 1986. Environmental factors and their consideration in the management of submersed aquatic vegetation: a review. J Aquat Plant Manag 24: 1 − 10.
- Beck M W, K L Heck, K W Able, D L Childers, D G Eggleston, B M Gillanders, B Halpern, C G Hays, K Hoshino, T J Minella, R J Orth, P F Sheridan and M P Weinstein. 2001. The identification, conservation and management of estuarine and marine nurseries for fish and invertebrates. BioScience 51: 633-641.
- Breeland S G. 1960. Observations on the breeding habits of some Culicoides and other Heleidae in the Panama Canal Zone. Mosquito News 20: 161-167.
- Bundotich G, Karachi M, Fondo E and Kairo J G. 2009. Structural inventory of mangrove forests in Ngomeni. In: Advances in Coastal Ecology, People, processes and ecosystems in Kenya 111-121.
- Costa M J and Bruxellas A. 1989. The structure of fish communities in the Tagus Estuary, Portugal, and its role as a nursery for commercial fish species.Tropics in Marine Biology, Ros J.D.(Ed) Scient. Mar. 53(2-3): 561-566.
- CoullB C and Bell S. 1979. Perseptive of marine meiofauna ecology, in Ecological processes in coastal and marine system, edited by Livingston R J, (Plenum Publishing Corporation), pp. 189-216.
- Dahanukar N, Raut R and Bhat A. 2004. Distribution, endemism and threat status of freshwater fishes in the Western Ghats of India.Journal of Biogeography.31:123-136.
- Davies J B. 1967. The distribution of sand flies (Culicoidesspp) breeding in a tidal mangrove swamp in Jamaica and the effect of tides on emergence of Culicoidesfurens (Poey) and C. barbosai Wirth and Blanton. W. Indies Med. J 16: 39-50.
- Elliott M, Whitfield A K, Potter I C, Blaber S J M, Cyrus D P, Nordlie F G and Harrison T D. 2007. The guild approach to categorizing estuarine fish assemblages: a global review. Fish, v. 8, p. 241-268.
- Hu Chuanmin, Zhejiang Chen, Tonya D Claytonb, Peter Swarzenski, John C Brockb and Frank E Muller-Karger. 2004. Assessment of estuarine water-quality indicators using MODIS medium-resolution bands: Initial results from Tampa Bay, FL, Remote Sensing of Environment, 93, pp 423-441.
- Ingole B, Rodriguez N and Ansari Z A. 2002. Macro benthic communities of the coastal waters of Dabhol, West coast of India.Ind, Journal of Marine Science, 31(2), pp 93-99.
- James P S B R and Marichamy R. 1987. Status of sea bass (Latescalcarifer) culture in India, Management of Wild and. Cultured. Seabass /Barramundi (Latescalcarifer) In: J.W. Copland and D.L. Grey (Eds.) Proc. International Workshop Dai-win, N.T. Australia, Sept. 1986, ACIR Proc. No. 20.
- Jhingran V G. 1982. Fish and fisheries of India. Hindustan Publishing Corporation, Delhi.
- Kannappan T and Karthikeyan M. 2013. Diversity of fishes in relation to physicochemical properties of Manakudy estuary, Southwest coast of India International Journal of Biodiversity and Conservation, 5(7): 396-407.
- Krishna P V, K Anil Kumar, Panchakshari V and Prabhavathi K. 2017. Assessment of fluctuations of the physicochemical parameters of water from Krishna estuarine region, East Coast of India.International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies. 5(1): 247-252.
- Lang'at J K, Tamooh F, Okello J and Kairo J G. 2009. Mangrove plantation experiments for controlling coastal erosion at Gazi Bay. In: Advances in Coastal Ecology, People, processes and ecosystems in Kenya 131-137.
- Lee J J, Tietjen J H, Mastropaolo C and Rubin H. 1977. Food quality and the heterogeous spatial distribution of meiofauna, Helgo.Wiss.Meeresunters, 30: 272-279.
- Mathew G. 2009. Taxonomy, identification and biology of Seabass (Latescalcarifer).In National Training on ‘Cage Culture of Seabass', CMFRI, Kochi, pp. 38-43.
- Miu T C, Lee S C and Tzeng W N. 1990. Reproductive Biology of Teraponjarbua from the Estuary of Tamshui River.J.Fish. Soc.Taiwan 17(1): 9-20.
- Muelbert J H and Weiss G. 1991. Abundance and distribution of fish larvae in the channel area of Patos Lagoon estuary, Brazil. In: Dhbyt, R. (Ed.), Larval fish recruitment and research in the Americas. Proceedings of the thirteenth annual fish conference, Springfield, Virginia, 95: 43-54.
- Parsons T R, Takahashi M and Hargrave B. 1977. Biological Oceanographic process, Ed. 2 Pergamon Press, Oxford, PP. 332.
- Peterson M. 2003. A conceptual view of environment-habitat-production linkages in tidal river estuaries.Reviews in Fisheries science 11(4): 291-313.
- Pirhalla D E. 2004.Evaluating fish-habitat relationships for refining Regional Indexes of Biotic Integrity: Development of a Tolerance Index of Habitat Degradation for Maryland Stream Fishes. J. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 133: 144-159.
- Potter I C and Hyndes G A. 1999. Characteristics of the ichtyofaunas of southwestern Australian estuaries, including comparisons with holartic estuaries elsewhere in temperate Australia: A review. Aust. J. Ecol., v. 24, p. 395-421.
- Potter I C, Bird D J, Claridge P N, Clarke K R, Hyndes G A and Newton L C. 2001. "Fish Fauna of the Severn Estuary. Are there long-term changes in abundance and species composition and are the recruitment patterns of the main marine species correlated?”.J. expl mar. Biol. Ecol. v. 258, p. 15-37.
- Prabhu A V, Rajkumar M and Perumal P. 2008. Seasonal variations in physicochemical characteristics of Pichavaram mangroves, southeast coast of India, Journal of Environmental Biology, 29, pp 945-950.
- Telesh I V, Vladislav V and Khlebovich. 2010. Principal processes within the estuarine salinity gradient: A review, Marine Pollution Bulletin, 61, pp 149-155.
- Vieira J P and Castello J P. 1997. Fish fauna. In: Seeliger, U., Odebrecht, C. and Castello, J. P. (Eds.), Subtropical convergence environment: The coast and sea in the southwestern Atlantic. Springer, New York, 56-61.
- Woke P A. 1954. Observations on Central American biting midges (Diptera: Heleidae). Ann.Entomol. Soc. Amer 47: 61-74.
Published in : Volume 4 | Issue 5 | March-April 2018
Date of Publication : 2018-04-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 190-195
Manuscript Number : IJSRST184537
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Murugan S, Usha Anandhi D, "Study On Breeding and Nursery Grounds of Fishes in Netravathi - Gurupura Estuary", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 4, Issue 5, pp.190-195, March-April-2018
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST184537