Home > Archives > IJSRST1845470
Image Guided Radiotherapy Workflow for Localized Prostate Cancer : A
Hybrid Solution for A Better Therapeutic Outcome
Authors(7) :-G. F. Acquah, P. O. Kyeremeh, C. O. Doudoo, I. Koranteng, A. Amoah, C. Edusa, K. Beecham
Image guided radiotherapy (IGRT) workflow was introduced to manage localized prostate cancer treatment by hybridizing treatment planning and dose delivering optimization. Seven main challenges were examined over a four year period with simple hybrid tailor-made solutions and workflow protocols formulated with limited resources. These techniques significantly improved the therapeutic ratio by safely reducing the large target margins and enhanced the possibility for dose escalation. However, clinical implementations were explored cautiously and a comprehensive dosimetric evaluation done to address uncertainties in workflow.
G. F. Acquah, P. O. Kyeremeh, C. O. Doudoo, I. Koranteng, A. Amoah, C. Edusa, K. Beecham
Image Guided Radiation Therapy, Prostate Cancer, Workflow Protocol, Image Fusion.
- Yan D, Lockman D. (2001) Organ/patient geometric variationin external beam radiotherapy and its effects. Med Phys. 28:593–602.
- Brierley JD et al. (1994) The variation of small bowel volumewithin the pelvis before and during adjuvant radiation forrectal cancer. Radiother Oncol. 31:110–116.
- Davies SC et al. Ultrasound quantization of respiratoryorgan motion in the upper abdomen. Br J Radiol. 1994; 67:1096–1102.
- Nuyttens J et al.The variability of the clinical targetvolume for rectal cancer due to internal organ motionduring adjuvant treatment. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys.2002; 53:497–503.
- Hanks G, Hanlon A, Schultheiss T, et al. Doseescalation with 3D conformal treatment: five yearoutcomes, treatment optimization, and future directions.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1998; 41:501-10.
- Pollack A, Zagars G. External beam radiotherapy dose response of prostate cancer. Int J Radiat OncolBiol Phys. 1997; 39:1011-8.
- Zelefsky M, Leibel S, Gaudin P, et al. Dose escalationwith three-dimensional conformal radiationtherapy affects the outcome in prostate cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys.1998; 41:491-500.
- Hentschel B, Oehler W, Strauss D et al. Definition of the CTV prostate in Ct and MRI by using CT-MRI image fusion planning for prostate cancer. Starhlenther Onkol. 2011; 187(3): 183-90.
- Sannazzari G, Ragona R, Ruo Redda M. et al. CT-MRI image fusion for delineation of volumes in three-dimensional conformal radiation therapy in the treatment of localized prostate cancer. Br J Radiol. 2002; 75(895): 603-7.
- Yan D, Lockman D, Brabbins D, et al. An off-line strategy for constructing a patient-specific planning target volume in adaptive treatment process for prostate cancer Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2000;48:289-302.
- Woodford C, Yartsev S, Dar A R, et al. Adaptive radiotherapy planning on decreasing gross tumor volumes as seen on megavoltage computed tomography images International journal of radiation oncology, biology, physics. 2007; 69: 1316-22.
- Nuver T, Hoogeman M, Remeijer P, et al. An adaptive off-line procedure for radiotherapy of prostate cancer International journal of radiation oncology, biology, physics 2007; 67: 1559-67.
- Aikins M, Acquah G, Hasford F, et al. Accuracy of Using In-Vivo Dose Verification with Diodes for Different Sites. IJST. 2015; 5(1).
- Cazoulat G, Lasaunier M, Simon A et al. From image-guided radiotherapy to dose-guided radiotherapy. Cancer/Radiotherapie, 2011; 15(8): 691-8.
- Acquah G, Gustavsson M, Schiestl B. et al. Clinical use of electronic portal imaging to analyze tumor motion variation during a 3D-conformal prostate cancer radiotherapy using online target verification and implanted markers. Int J Cancer Ther Oncol. 2014; 2(4).
Published in : Volume 4 | Issue 8 | May-June 2018
Date of Publication : 2018-06-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 317-321
Manuscript Number : IJSRST1845470
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
G. F. Acquah, P. O. Kyeremeh, C. O. Doudoo, I. Koranteng, A. Amoah, C. Edusa, K. Beecham, "Image Guided Radiotherapy Workflow for Localized Prostate Cancer : A
Hybrid Solution for A Better Therapeutic Outcome", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 4, Issue 8, pp.317-321, May-June-2018
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST1845470