Home > Archives > IJSRST184557
Sulphonated PEEK-Tectona grandis based Composite Membranes for PEM Fuelcells
Authors(3) :-Kirubanand Natarajan, Palaniswamy Vickraman, Guhan Srinivasan
Sulphonated Poly Ether Ether Ketone (SPEEK) – Tectona grandis (TG) composite membranes have been prepared by varying TG from 0%, 1%, 2%, 3%, 4% and 5% while varying polymer content 100%, 99%, 98%, 97%, 96% and 95% by solution casting technique at 80oC environment. The obtained films were subjected to Ion Exchange Capacity (IEC), Water Absorption (WA), Chemical Stability (CS), Protonic Conductivity (PC) with view to understand the compatibility for their utility in PEMFuelcell application. TG5(SPEEK 95wt% + AI 5wt%) has maximum IEC, WA, conductivity and minimum CS compared to pure SPEEK. This may be reasoned that maximum WA accounted for IEC only propel for enhanced protonic transport mechanism. The FTIR studies confirms the Sulphonation of PEEK and complexation of SPEEK with TG. SEM shows the surface morphology of pure SPEEK and SPEEK/TG composite membranes, It is observed that beyond 5 weight% dispersion in SPEEK matrix, no free standing membrane is obtained may be due to immiscibility of TG with SPEEK. XRD studies on composite membranes showed semi-crystalline PEEK into amorphous membrane. TGA studies weight loss and there is no significant weight loss up to 230 °C. In PEMFC, the operational temperature is very well below that. MEA prepared with pure SPEEK as well as SPEEK/TG5 membranes and subjected to realtime PEMFC testing which resulted in better OCV as well as power density.
Kirubanand Natarajan, Palaniswamy Vickraman, Guhan Srinivasan
Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuelcell, SPEEK/TG composite, Proton conductivity, Water Absorption, Realtime PEMFC test.
- V. Kurdakova, E. Quartarone, P. Mustarelli, A. Magistris, E. Kaponetti and M.L. TGladino. 2010. J. Power Sources, (2010), 195, 7765-7769
- L. Zhao, Y. Li, H. Zang, W. Wu, J. Liu and J. Wang. 2015 J. Power Sources, (2015), 286, 445-457.
- Zh. Di, Q. Xie, H. Li, D. Mao, M.Li, D. Zhou and L. Li. 2015. J. Power Sources, (2010), 273, 688-696
- Moreno N.G, Molina M.C., Gervasio D., Robles J.F.P., 2015. Renewable and sustainable Energy Reviews, (2015), 52:897
- Wang J. Energy. 2015, 80:509
- K. Li, G. Ye, J. Pan, H. Zhang, M. Pan. J. Membr. Sci (2010), 347, 26-3
- X. Yang, Q. Yang, J. Xua, C.S. Lee. (2012) J. Mater. Chem. (2012). 22, 8057-8062
- Guhan, S. Ravichandran, S. TGngeetha, D., , Research and Reviews in Electrochemistry, Vol. 1(2), p 90-95, 2008.
- Gong C., Zheng X., Liu H., Wang G., Cheng F., Zheng G., et al. Journal of Power Sources 2016, 325:453.
- Chandan A., Hattenberger M., El-kharouf A., Du S., Dhir A., Self V., et al. Journal of Power Sources. 2013, 231:264
- Iulianelli A., Basile A. , International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 2012, 37:15241.
- Kreuer K.D., Journal of Membrane Science. 2001,185:29.
- Smitha B., Sridhar S., Khan A.A. , Journal of Membrane Science. 2005, 259:10.
- Y.H. Choi, J.A. Nason, J.H. Kweon. 2013. Sep. Purif. Technol (2013), 120(0), 78-85
- X. Fan, Y. Dong, Y. Su, X. Zhao, Y. Li, I. Liu, et al. 2014, J. Membr. Sci. (2014), 452(0), 90-6
- A. Gautam, T.I. Menkhaus, Performance evaluation and fouling analysis for reverse osmosis and nanofiltration
- S. M. J. Zaidi, S. D. Mikhailenko and S. Kaliaguine, J. Polymer Sci. B: Polym. Phys. 38 , 1386-1395 (2000)
- S. M. J Zaidi and M. I. Ahmed, J. Membr. Sci. 270 , 548-557 (2006).
- S.M.Javiad Zaidi; Arabian journal for Science and Engineering., 28(2B), 185 (2003)
- S.Guhan; Development of Blends and Composites of SPEEK as Electrolyte Membranes for Fuel Cells,PhD dissertation, Anna University, India, (2011)
- S.Banerjee, K Kar; J. Poly. App. Sc. , 42952 (2016)
- SG Adoor, SD Bhat, DD Dionysiou, MN Nagagouda, TM Aminabhavi, RSC Adv. 4, 52571-52582(2014)
- Islam, M. S., Hamdan, S., Jusoh, I., Rahman, M. R. & Ahmed, A. S. Mater. Design. 33, 419–424 (2012).
- A Jain, S Jayaraman, M Ulaganathan, R Balasubramanian, V Aravindan, MP Srinivasan, S Madhavi ; Electrochimica Acta228:131-138 (2017)
- S. S. Mohtar, A. F. Ismail, and T. Matsuura, Journal of Membrane Science, 371, 10 (2011).
- Sangki Park and Hansung Kim, Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 163 (10) A2293-A2298 (2016)
- P Xing, GP Robertson, MD Guiver, SD Mikhailenko, K Wang,; J. Membr. Sc. 229(95-106) (2003)
- Hye-Ri Jang Eun-Sil Yoo , Ramanujam Kannan, Jong-Suk Kim, Kieseung Lee,Dong Jin Yoo ; Colloid Polym Sci., 295(6), pp 1059–1069 (2017)
- H Dogan, E Yildiz, M Kaya and T Y Inan ;Bull. Mater. Sci., Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 563–573, (2013)
Published in : Volume 4 | Issue 5 | March-April 2018
Date of Publication : 2018-04-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 323-332
Manuscript Number : IJSRST184557
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Kirubanand Natarajan, Palaniswamy Vickraman, Guhan Srinivasan, "Sulphonated PEEK-Tectona grandis based Composite Membranes for PEM Fuelcells", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 4, Issue 5, pp.323-332, March-April-2018
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST184557