Home > Archives > IJSRST184572
Floral Pigments from Bombax Insigne: an Endemic Tree Species of East-Asia
Authors(3) :-N. B. Yemul, D. B. Borude, A. N. Chandore
Bombax L. belonging to the family Malvaceae (Bombacaceae) and distributed throughout the world. It is represented by two species B. ceiba L. (syn. B. malabaricum DC.) and B. insigne Wall. B. insigne is restricted to East Asia. There are two populations of B. insigne, one with scarlet flowers and another with cream yellow flowers. Flavonoids are responsible for the pigmentation of flowers in two populations of B. insigne. The population with scarlet flowers contain anthocyanin as flowering pigment and lacks anthoxanthin. While population with cream yellow flowers bears anthoxathin as flowering pigment and lacks anthocyanin completely.
N. B. Yemul, D. B. Borude, A. N. Chandore
Bombax, Flavonoids, anthocyanin, anthoxathin
- Mabberley, D. J., Mabberley's Plant-book, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2008, 3rd edn, p. 112.
- Niranjan, G. S. and Gupta, P. C. 1973. Anthocyanins from the flowers of Bombax malabaricum. Planta Medica, 24, 196-199.
- Verma Rameshwar, Devre Kishor, Gangrade Tushar, Gore Siddharth, Gour Sudarshan. 2014. A Pharmacognostic and pharmacological overview on Bombax ceiba. Sch. Acad. J. Pharm., 3 (2): 100 - 107
- Bhattacharya A, Mandal S. 2000. Pollination biology in Bombax ceiba Linn. Current Science, 79 (12): 1706-1712.
- S. Subramanya and T. R. Radhamani, 1993 Pollination by birds and bats. Current Science, 65 (3): 201-209
- Singh N. P., Karthikeyan S. Flora of Maharashtra state, Vol-I, Botanical Survey of India, 1996. p-343
Published in : Volume 4 | Issue 5 | March-April 2018
Date of Publication : 2018-04-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 387-389
Manuscript Number : IJSRST184572
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
N. B. Yemul, D. B. Borude, A. N. Chandore, "Floral Pigments from Bombax Insigne: an Endemic Tree Species of East-Asia", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 4, Issue 5, pp.387-389, March-April-2018
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST184572