Home > Archives > IJSRST184573
Study of Different Fault Conditions using D-STATCOM Employing Diesel Generator-Based Isolation Generation System
Authors(3) :-Dr. Pagidimarri Krishna, A. Mounika Reddy, M. Aruna
A Power quality problem is an occurrence manifested as a nonstandard voltage, current or frequency that results in a failure or a mis-operation of end user equipments. Utility distribution networks, sensitive industrial loads and critical commercial operations suffer from various types of outages and service interruptions which can cost significant financial losses. With the restructuring of power systems and with shifting trend towards distributed and dispersed generation, the issue of power quality is going to take newer dimensions. In developing countries like India, where the variation of power frequency and many such other determinants of power quality are themselves a serious question, it is very vital to take positive steps in this direction .This paper presents a study on the modeling of a STATCOM (Static Synchronous Compensator) used for reactive power compensation on a distribution network. This paper deals with the simulation of distribution static synchronous compensator (DSTATCOM) for improving power quality of a distribution system feeding linear as well as non-linear loads. Nowadays, there are an increasing number of non-linear loads which inject harmonics into the system. A three-phase insulated gate bipolar transistor- (IGBT-) based current controlled voltage source inverter with a DC bus capacitor known as a DSTATCOM is used for power factor correction, harmonic compensation and for providing required reactive power to the load. A model of DSTATCOM connected to a power distribution system feeding linear and non-linear loads (diode bridge rectifier with R and R-C) is developed for predicting the behavior of system under transient conditions. Simulation is carried out in standard MATLAB environment using Simulink and power system block set toolboxes. Finally the performance of DSTATCOM under various fault conditions is investigated.
Dr. Pagidimarri Krishna, A. Mounika Reddy, M. Aruna
D-STATCOM, Voltage Sags, Voltage Source Converter (VSC).
- A.E. Hammad, Comparing the Voltage source capability of Present and future Var Compensation Techniques in Transmission System, IEEE Trans, on Power Delivery . volume 1. No.1 Jan 1995.
- G.Yalienkaya, M.H.J Bollen, P.A. Crossley,"Characterization of Voltage Sags in Industrial Distribution System", IEEE transactions on industry applications, volume 34, No. 4, July/August, PP.682-688, 1999.
- Haque, M.H.,"Compensation Of Distribution Systems Voltage sags by DVR and D-STATCOM", Power Tech Proceedings, 2001 IEEE Porto, Volume 1, PP.10-13, September 2001.
- Anaya-Lara O, Acha E.,"Modeling and Analysis Of Custom Power Systems by PSCAD/EMTDC", IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Volume 17, Issue: 2002, Pages: 266-272.
- Bollen, M.H.J.,"Voltage sags in Three Phase Systems", Power Engineering Review, IEEE, Volume 21, Issue :9, September 2001, PP: 11-15.
- M.Madrigal, E.Acha.,"Modelling OF Custom Power Equipment Using Harmonics Domain Techniques",IEEE 2000.
- R.Meinski, R.Pawelek and I.Wasiak,"Shunt Compensation For Power Quality Improvement Using a STATCOM controller Modelling and Simulation", IEEE Proce, Volume 151, No. 2, March 2004.
- J.Nastran , R. Cajhen, M. Seliger, and P.Jereb,"Active Power Filters for Nonlinear AC loads, IEEE Trans.on Power Electronics Volume 9, No.1, PP: 92-96, Jan 2004.
- L.A.Moran, J.W. Dixon , and R.Wallace, A Three Phase Active Power Filter with fixed Switching Frequency For Reactive Power and Current Harmonics Compensation, IEEE Trans. On Industrial Electronics. Volume 42, PP:402-8, August 1995.
- L.T. Moran ,P.D Ziogas, and G.Joos , Analysis and Design Of Three Phase Current source solid State Var Compensator, IEEE Trans, on Indutry Applications. Volume 25, No.2, 1989, PP:356-65.
Published in : Volume 4 | Issue 5 | March-April 2018
Date of Publication : 2018-04-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 422-430
Manuscript Number : IJSRST184573
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Dr. Pagidimarri Krishna, A. Mounika Reddy, M. Aruna, "Study of Different Fault Conditions using D-STATCOM Employing Diesel Generator-Based Isolation Generation System", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 4, Issue 5, pp.422-430, March-April-2018
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST184573