Home > Archives > IJSRST184835
Enhancement of Solubility of Mefenamic Acid by Hydrotrop Based Solid Dispersion
Authors(1) :-Smita P. Shelke
Therapeutically active substances are often associated with bio-availability problems due to lower solubility, these leads to lack of in-vivo and in-vitro correlation, poor patient compliance and inter subject variations. Mefenamic acid (MFA)is an anthranilic acid derivatives (or fenamate) class of NSAID drugs and is used to treat mild to moderate pain, including menstrual pain, and is sometimes used to prevent migraines associated with menstruation. But it is sparingly soluble in water. Present study was aimed to improve solubility of MFA. Among many methods of impoving solubilities, hydrotropic solublization method was used here. After extensive studies, from various hydrotrops, sodium citrate was shown most promising improvement on solubility. 0.5 M sodium citrate was optimized and its solid dispersion with mefenamic acid, dissolution studies had shown 62% increase in solubility of mefenamic acid as compare to pure drug.
Mefenamic Acid, Solubility, Hydrotrop, Sodium Citrate.
- Shete AS, Yadav AV, Dabke AP and Sakhare SS. Formulationand evaluation of hydrotropic solubilization basedsuspensions of Griseofulvin. International Journal of PharmaSciences and Research2010; 1(1: 51–57.
- Abraham S. et al. Application of Hydrotropic Solubilization in Spectrophotometric Estimation of Lornoxicam from Tablets. International Scholarly Research Notices2014; 14:4.
- Wang L, Cui FD, Hayse T and Sunada H. Preparation and evaluation of solid dispersion for nitrendipine-carbopol and nitrendipine HPMCP systems using twin screw extruder. Chem. Pharm.Bull2005; 53(10:1240-1245.
- Martindale the Complete Drug Reference, 36thEdition, 2009: 80.
- The Indian Pharmacopeia 2010. Dissolution Test; 2: 189-192.
Published in : Volume 4 | Issue 8 | May-June 2018
Date of Publication : 2018-06-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 147-149
Manuscript Number : IJSRST184835
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Smita P. Shelke, "Enhancement of Solubility of Mefenamic Acid by Hydrotrop Based Solid Dispersion", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 4, Issue 8, pp.147-149, May-June-2018.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST184835