Home > Archives > IJSRST184838
Android Based Braille Tutor System for Visually Impaired People
Authors(2) :-Sneha B Kulkarni, Sanjeev S Sannakki
Visually impaired students (VIS) are unable to get visual information, which has made their learning process complicated. This paper discusses the overall situation of VIS and identifies major challenges that they are facing in getting education. The Braille system is followed to educate blind students. However, lack of Braille based educational resources and technological solutions have made the learning process lengthy and complicated for VIS. As a developing country, most of the people cannot afford for the costly Braille related technological tools for VIS. Therefore, a mobile phone based Braille Tutor System, for Android platform is designed to provide an easy Braille learning technology for VIS.
The main objective of the project is to create a low cost, economical presentation device and Braille tutor system based on Android for the blind. The project uses An Android Application which acts as a tutor at sender side and server side system which receives the data and converts to text to speech and even displays it in graphical manner at the Receiver Side. The Text can also covert into speech at the Receiver Side. Tutor App for visually impaired is a device that can be used by blind for two major purposes i.e. Note Taker, Electronic Braille Tutor System.
Sneha B Kulkarni, Sanjeev S Sannakki
Android platform, Braille Tutor System, Voice to Text Conversion, Braille Converter, Text-To-Speech Translator, Visual Impaired People Education for VIS.
- J Oliveira, T. Guerreiro, H. Nicolau, J. Jorge, D. Gonçalves: “Blind people and mobile touch-based text-entry: acknowledging the need for different flavors.” In Proceedings of the 13th Int. ACM SIGACCESS Conf. on Computers and accessibility. ASSETS ’11, ACM (2011).
- AR Fernandes, H. Paredes. “Exploring Alternative Devices for Blind Users.” In Proceedings of The Sixth International Conference on Virtual Systems and Multimedia, 2000.
- Jie Li, Xiaoguang Yan and Dayong Zhang, "Optical Braille recognition with Haar wavelet features and Support-Vector Machine," 2010 International Conference on Computer, Mechatronics, Control and Electronic Engineering, Changchun, 20 I 0, pp. 64-67. doi: 10.11 09/CMCE.20 I 0.561 0062
- T Guerrero, H. Nicolau, J. Jorge, and D. Gonçalves. “Navtap: A long term study with excluded blind users.” In ASSETS’09, pages 99–106. ACM Press, 2009.
- SK. Kane, J.P. Bigham, and J.O. Wobbrock. “Slide Rule: Making mobile touch screens accessible to blind people using multitouch interaction techniques”, pp. 73-80, 2008. In Proc. ASSETS '08. New York: ACM Press.
- G Yfantidis, and G. Evreinov. “Adaptive Blind Interaction Technique for Touchscreens.” UAIS, 4, 328-337, 2006
- Aisha Mousa, Hazem Hiary, Raja Alomari, and Loai AInemer, Smart Braille System Recognize, lJCSI International Journal of Computer Science Issues, Vol. 10, Issue 6, No I, November 2013 ISSN (Print): 1694- 0814, ISSN (Online): 1694-0784 www.lJCSl.org
- M Bonner, J. Brudvik, G. Abowd, and K. Edwards. No-Look Notes: “Accessible Eyes-Free Multi-Touch Text Entry.” IEEE Pervasive Computing ’10. Heidelberg: Springer, 2010, pp. 409-426.
- B Frey, C. Southern, and M. Romero. “BrailleTouch: mobile texting for the visually impaired.” Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction. Context Diversity, 2011, pp. 19–25.
- J. Oliveira, T. Guerreiro, H. Nicolau, J. Jorge, and D. Gonçalves. “BrailleType: Unleashing Braille over Touch Screen Mobile Phones, in Human-Computer Interaction.” INTERACT 2011, P. Campos, et al., Editors, Springer Berlin / Heidelberg: Lisbon, Portugal, 2011, pp. 100-107
Published in : Volume 4 | Issue 8 | May-June 2018
Date of Publication : 2018-06-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 156-161
Manuscript Number : IJSRST184838
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Sneha B Kulkarni, Sanjeev S Sannakki, "Android Based Braille Tutor System for Visually Impaired People", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 4, Issue 8, pp.156-161, May-June-2018
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST184838