Home > Archives > IJSRST184864
Studies on Character association for yield and yield attributing components in Sunflower (Halianthus annuas L.) germpalasms in coastal saline belts of West Bengal
Authors(1) :-S. S. Lakshman
A study on genetic variability was made with different quantitative and yield attributing characters in sunflower (Halianthus annuus L.). One hundred and twenty five inbred lines of sunflower were selected for studying the character association both direct and indirect to assess the relationship among seed yield and its components. The trial was conducted in the Instructional Farm of Ramkrishna Ashram Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Nimpith on rabi-summer season of 2011-12. The analysis of variance revealed significant differences among the genotypes for all the characters under study. Observations were recorded on twelve different quantitative and yield attributing traits viz., days to 50% flowering, days to maturity, no. of leaves per plant, plant height (cm), head diameter (cm), 100-seed weight (g), no. of seeds per head, seed filling %, hull content (%),volume weight per 100 ml (g), oil content (%) and seed yield per plant (g) and (g).Hence simultaneous selection of these characters would contribute for the improvement of seed yield and oil yield per plant. The maximum positive association in relation to seed yield per plant were found with no. of seed per head, 100seed weight, head diameter and percentage of seed filling. The genetic influence of all the said four characters were more than 80% which signifies the importance of all these four characters in improving the seed yield in case of open pollinated population development as well as hybrid variety development programme.
Sunflower, Yield, Character association, Selection indices.
- Chikkadevaiah, Sujatha, H.L. and Nandini. 2002. Correlation and path analysis in sunflower. Helia,25: 109−118.
- Fick, G.N., Zimmer, D.C.and Zimmerman, D.C.1974. Correlation of seed oil content in sunflower with other plant and seed characteristics.Crop Sci.,14: 755–7.
- Green, V.E, 1980.Correlation and path analysis of the components of yield in sunflower cultivars:(Helianthus annuus L.).In: Proc.of the 9th Int. Sunflower Conf., pp: 12–21.June, 8-13, 1980.Terremolinos-Malage, Spain.
- Joksimovic, J., J. Atlagic.and D. Skoric,1999.Pathcoefficient analysis of some oil yield components in sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.).Helia, 22:35–42.
- Lakshminarayana, N., Sreedhar, N.and Prabhakar A.J.2004.Correlation and path analysis in sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.). Andhra Agric. J., 51 (3 and 4): 342-344
- Manivannan, N., Vidyavathi, P.and Muralidharan, V., 2005.Diallel analysis in Sunflower.Indian J.Agric. Res., 39 (4): 281-385.
- Moorthy,J. 2004. Combining ability,heterosis and association studies in confectionery sunflower Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore.
- Ramasubrahmanyam, S.V., Ranganatha A.R.G. and S.Sudeer Kumar. 2002. Genetic variabilityfor seed yieldand seed parameters in sunflower. J. Oilseeds Res., 19: 171-174.
- Skoric, D. and Marinkovic, R. 1986. Most recent results in sunflower breeding. Int. Symposium on sunflower, Budapest, Hungary, pp: 118–9.
- Teklewold, A., Jayaramaiah, H. and Jagadeesh, B.N. 2000.Correlations and path analysis of physico-morphological character of sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) as related to breeding method. Helia, 23: 105-114.
- Vidhyavathi, R., Mahalakshmi, P., Manivannan, N.and Muralidharan, V.2005. Correlation and path analysis in sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.).Agric. Sci. Digest, 25 (1): 6-10.
Published in : Volume 4 | Issue 8 | May-June 2018
Date of Publication : 2018-06-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 289-295
Manuscript Number : IJSRST184864
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
S. S. Lakshman, "Studies on Character association for yield and yield attributing components in Sunflower (Halianthus annuas L.) germpalasms in coastal saline belts of West Bengal", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 4, Issue 8, pp.289-295, May-June-2018
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST184864