Home > Archives > IJSRST184874
BOD, COD AND DO LOAD OF ASE CREEK, SOUTH-SOUTH NIGERIA
Authors(3) :-Ojebah C. K, Uwague A., Emumejaye E. P
Water is an inorganic solvent and covers about 70% of the earth’s surface. Quality and quantity of water are affected by an increase in anthropogenic activities and any pollution either physical or chemical which causes change to the quality of the receiving water body. Water samples were collected at three locations along Ase creek and analyzed for temperature, pH, Dissolved Oxygen (DO), Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD) and Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD) using standard methods. Results obtained ranged as follows: 26 - 28?C for temperature; 6.48 - 6.75 for pH; 6.50 – 8.50 mg/l for DO; 0.50 - 1.50mg/l for BOD; 1.50 -2.50mg/l for COD. The pH values for the water samples were slightly acidic. The BOD/COD ratios for all the sampling points were less than 1 indicating that the water samples have a biodegradable nature. The results obtained were within WHO permissible limit for drinking water except DO. There is thus the need to examine periodically water quality parameters of water bodies prior to use in order to ensure that they are free from organic and other pollutants. This in the long run will help to promote a healthy condition needed for sustainable development.
Ojebah C. K, Uwague A., Emumejaye E. P
Water, potable, BOD, COD, DO, Samples, locations
- Ademoroti, C.M.A (1996). Standard Methods for Water and Effluents Analysis. Foludex press Ltd, Ibadan pp47- 52
- APHA (1998). Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 20th? Edition. Washington DC, USA: American Public Health Association
- Aremu, M. O and Inajoh, A (2007). Assessment of Elemental Contaminants in Water and Selected Sea Foods from River Benue, Nigeria. Current World Environment 2(2), 205-212.
- Aremu, M. O, Olaofe, O, Ikokoh, P. P and Yakubu, M. M (2011). Physicochemical? Characteristics of Stream, Well and Borehole Water Sources in Eggon, Nasarawa? State Nigeria. J. Chemsoc. Nigeria vol No 1 pp 130- 137.
- Atolaiye, B. O and Aremu, M. O (2007). Bioaccumulation of Some Trace Elements in the Body Parts of Fish Species Associated with Soil Sediment and Water from Magani Confluence in Nasarawa State, Nigeria. Electronic J. Envir. Agric & Food chem. 6(5),2001-2008
- Chindah, A. C. (1998). The Effect of Industrial Activities on the Periphyton Community at the Upper Reaches of New Calabar River, Niger Delta, Nigeria. Water Research 32(4): 113-114
- Egba, C. O. and Okoye, P. A. C. (2008). Metal Pollutants of Ground Water Resources in? Abakaliki Urban - An Influence of Quarry Industry. Proceeds of the Chemical? society of Nigeria 31st Annual International Conference and Exhibition Held in PTI? 22nd - 26th September, 2008 pp 493-497.
- Egborge, A. B. M (1991). Industrialization and Heavy Metal pollution in Warri River. 32nd Inaugural lecture, University of Benin, Benin City. Pp 32.
- Fakayode, J. O. (2005) - Impact Assessment of Industrial Effluent on Water Quality of the Receiving Akaro River in Ibadan, Nigeria. Ajeam Rage volume 10, 1 - 13.
- Faragallah, H. M., Askar, A. I., Okbah M. A. and Moustafa, H. M. (2009). Physico- chemical Characteristics of the Open Mediterranean Sea Water far about 60 Km? from Damietta Harbor, Egypt. Journal of Ecology and The Natural Environment? 1(5):106-119,
- Gunasekar, A. and Isaac, S. Suthakar (2015). Assessment of Physicochemical? Characteristics of River Sone at Bihar, India. International Journal of Current? Research in Biosciences and Plant Biology 2(8):50-58
- Jayaraman, P. R., Ganga, D. T., Vasudevan, N. T., (2003). Water Quality Studies on? Karamana River, Thiruvananthapuram District, South Kerala, India. Poll. Res.? 22(1), 89-100.
- Lee, A. K. and Nikraz H. (2015). BOD: COD Ratio as an Indicator for River Pollution.? International Proceedings of Chemical, Biological and Environmental Engineering,? 88:89-94
- Magadum, A., Patel, T., Gavali, D. (2017). Assessment of Physicochemical? Parameters? and Water Quality Index of Vishwamitri River, Gujarat, India? International? Journal of Environment, Agriculture and Biotechnology (IJEAB) 2:1505-1510
- Mugdha A. and Kushwaha, V. B. (2012). Effect of Domestic Sewage on the? Physicochemical Quality of River Rapti at Gorakhpur. Int. Quart. J. Life Sci.7(1),? 135-138.
- Oladipo, I. C., Onyenike, I. C. and Adebiyi, A. O. (2009). Microbiological Analysis of Some Vended Sachet Water in Ogbomoso, Nigeria. African Journal of Food Science 3(12): 406-41
- Samudro, G. and Mangkoedihardjo, S. (2010). Review on BOD, COD and BOD/COD ratio:? A Triangle Zone for Toxic, Biodegradable and Stable Levels. Intl. J of Academic? Research 2(4):23-28
- Sikder, M, Hasanuzzaman, M. D. and Mafizur Rahman M. D. (2010). Water Quality? Modeling for BOD and COD Control Strategies for the Buriganga River of? Bangladesh. Proceedings of the 13th International Conference of Environmental? Science and Technology Athens, Greece, 5-7 September 2013
- Tortora, J. G., Funke, R. B. and Case, L. C (2002). Microbiology: An Introduction. Media update of 7th Edition including bibliography and index publisher. Daryl Fox: pp 258-260
- Waziri, M. and Ogugbuaja V. O. (2010). Interrelationships between physicochemical water? pollution indicators: A case study of River Yobe, Nigeria. American Journal of? Scientific and Industrial Research 1(1): 76-80
- WHO (2008). Guidelines for drinking water quality,World Health Organization, Geneva.
Published in : Volume 4 | Issue 8 | May-June 2018
Date of Publication : 2018-06-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 413-418
Manuscript Number : IJSRST184874
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Ojebah C. K, Uwague A., Emumejaye E. P, "BOD, COD AND DO LOAD OF ASE CREEK, SOUTH-SOUTH NIGERIA", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 4, Issue 8, pp.413-418, May-June-2018.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST184874