Home > Archives > NCAEAS2319
Single and Multi-Plane Balancing of Rotor in Static and Dynamic Condition - A Review
Authors(3) :-Konal I. Singh , Saket Kolhe , Amit R. Bhende
Static and dynamic balancing of a rotor plays an important role in deciding the life of any turbo-machinery. Vibrations generated due to unbalance rotor is considered as one of the major factors that can lead to accelerating degradation of machine components or even catastrophic failure especially at high speed where reliability is important consideration. Rotor unbalance may result due to error in manufacturing process, wear and tear of rotating component, thermal deformations, deposition of material on rotor surface etc. There are various static and dynamic balancing methods depending upon type of rotor. Different methods of rotor balancing requires different trial runs (number of times the machine has to stop) so as to place trial weights and measure vibration amplitude. This paper studies the number of trial runs required in various rotor balancing methods in static and dynamic condition. Any method which balances the rotor in less number of trials is considered to be the efficient one because stopping machine results in more energy consumption and reduction in machine life. It is normal human psychology to find and search for a method that solves the problem in least possible time and the work can be started again. The paper also includes the derivation of two balancing methods that has reduced the number of trial runs to a considerable number and also reviews the literature concerning the origin of various balancing techniques including the ones that use influence coefficient method, cradle balancing method, modal balancing method.
Konal I. Singh , Saket Kolhe , Amit R. Bhende
Balancing, Rotor, Vibration, Phase Angle, Influence Coefficient Method
Reference to a book:
- R.S. Khurmi1, J.K. Gupta2, “Theory of Machines” 14th Edition, S. Chand& Co. Ltd., New Delhi, 2005.
Reference to a journal/conference article:
- R. Tiwari, 2005, “Mechanical System and Signal Processing, Conditioning of Regression Matrices for Simultaneous Estimation of the Residual Unbalance and Bearing Dynamic Parameters”, ELSEVIER, Mechanical System and Signal Processing.
- ShiyuZho1, Jianjun Shi2, “Active Balancing and vibration control of Rotating Machinery: A Survey”, SVD-01-02, May, 04, 2001, 1-30.
- E. L. Thearle1, Schenectady2, N. Y3, “Dynamic Balancing of rotating machinery in the field”, ASME Transactions, APM 56-19, Vol. 56, 1934; 745-753.
- T.P. Goodman, “A least-squares method for computing balance corrections”, Trans. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, J. Engineering for Industry, 86(3) (1964), 273–279.
- MacdaraMacCamhaoil, “Static and Dynamic Balancing of Rigid Rotors,” Bruel & Kjaer Application Notes, 1-20.
- Goodman1, T. P2, "A Least-Squares Method of Computing Balance Corrections", ASME Transactions, Journal of Engineering for Industry, Aug. 1964, 273-277.
- Lund, J. W., and Tonneson, J., (, "Analysis and Experiments in Multi-plane Balancing of Flexible Rotors", ASME Transactions, Journal of Engineering for Industry, Vol. 94(1) (1972), Feb., 233
- J. M.Tessarzik1, R. H.Badgley2, W. J. Anderson3, "Flexible Rotor Balancing by the Exact Point-Speed Influence Coefficient Method", ASME Transactions, Journal of Engineering for Industry, Feb.1972, 148-157.
- R.E.D. Bishop, “The Vibration of Rotating Shafts”, Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol. 1, No. 1, 50.
- R.E.D. Bishop, “On the Possibility of Balancing Rotating Flexible Shafts”, Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol. 24, 1982, 215-220.
- R.E.D.Bishop1, and G.M.L.Gladwell2, “The Vibration and Balancing of an Unbalanced Flexible Rotor,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol. 1, No. 1, 1959, 66.
- R.E.D. Bishop and A.G. Parkinson, “On the Use of Balancing Machines for Flexible Rotors,” ASME Transactions, Journal of Engineering for Industry, Vol. 94, 1972, 561-576.
- W. Kellenburger, “Should a flexible rotor be balanced in N or N+2 planes?”, Transactions of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Journal of Engineering for Industry, Ind 94(2), 548-558.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 2 | January-February 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-02-28
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 79-84
Manuscript Number : NCAEAS2319
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Konal I. Singh , Saket Kolhe , Amit R. Bhende, "Single and Multi-Plane Balancing of Rotor in Static and Dynamic Condition - A Review", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 2, pp.79-84, January-February-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/NCAEAS2319