Home > Archives > IJSRST162110
Enumeration of Leafy Vegetables of Bhadravathi Taluk, Karnataka
Authors(2) :-Dr. Nagaraj Parisara, Dr. B. R. Kiran
Bhadravathi taluk is situated in Malnad region of Karnataka and unique in their nature by having rich diversity of leafy vegetable plants. Leafy vegetables are low in calories and fat, and rich in protein , dietary fiber ,iron, vitamins and manganese. This paper provides the information of 41 species and 33 genera of 22 families. Among families Amaranthaceae is dominant with 12 species followed by Apiaceae, Brassicaceae and Fabaceae with 3 species each. In this study, herbs are dominant. The peoples of these area mainly depend on leafy greens as food source. Use of leafy vegetables may act as alternative food resources other than cultivated vegetables.
Dr. Nagaraj Parisara, Dr. B. R. Kiran
Edible, Leafy Vegetables, Bhadravathi Taluk
- "Chenopodium giganteum". Retrieved 2010-11-03.
- De Pee S, West Ce, Muhilal, Karyadi D and Hautvast Jgaj. 1996.Can increased vegetable consumption improve iron status? Food Nutr. Bull. 17 (1) 34-36.
- Mieke Faber, Paul J van Jaarsveld and Ria Laubscher. 2007. The contribution of dark-green leafy vegetables to total micronutrient intake of two- to five-year-old children in a rural setting#.Water SA Vol. 33 No. 3 (Special Edition) :407-412.
- Prashanth Kumar, G M and N Shiddamallayya .2014. Documentation of wild leafy vegetables of Hassan district, Karnataka. International Journal of Pure & Applied Bioscience . 2 (1): 202-208
- Ruel M. 2001. Can food-based strategies help reduce Vitamin A and Iron deficiencies? A review of recent evidence. International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington DC. 63 pp.
- Roshan Adhikari, Naveen Kumar HN and Shruthi SD. 2012. A Review on Medicinal Importance of Basella alba L. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Drug Research 4(2): 110-114.
- Saldanha C. J. Flora of Karnataka, Vol. 1 & Vol.2, Oxford publishing co., New Delhi. (1984, 1996)
- Sundriyal M. and Sundriyal R. C.2001. Wild edible plants of the Sikkim Himalaya: Nutritive values of selected species, Economic Botany. 55(3): 377-390.
- Uprety Y, Poudel R. , Shrestha K. K, Rajbhandary S, Tiwari N. N, Shrestha U. B. and Asselin H.2012. Diversity of use and local knowledge of wild edible plant resources in Nepal, J.of Ethno. & Ethnomedi.. 8(16): 1-16.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 1 | January-February 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-02-25
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 32-35
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162110
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Dr. Nagaraj Parisara, Dr. B. R. Kiran, "Enumeration of Leafy Vegetables of Bhadravathi Taluk, Karnataka", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp.32-35, January-February-2016.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162110