Home > Archives > IJSRST173685
Performance Evaluation of CI Engine using Karanja Biodiesel as an Alternative Fuel
Authors(3) :-Madhavi S. Harne, Milind A. Pelagade, Ramakant Shrivastava
Biodiesel is an alternative diesel fuel that is produced from renewable resources. The use of biodiesel is rapidly increasing around the world, making it incumbent to fully understand its impacts on the diesel engine combustion process and pollutant formation. Biodiesel is known as the mono-alkyl-esters of long chain fatty acids derived from renewable feed stocks, such as, vegetable oils or animal fats, for use in compression ignition engines. In the present work, the performance of single cylinder water-cooled diesel engine using methyl-ester of Karanja oil as fuel was evaluated for its performance and exhaust emissions. Different blends of Karanja Oil (B5, B10, B15, B20) were compared for their performance characteristics with pure Diesel(B100).The performance was assessed for the parameters viz. Indicated Power, Fuel Consumption, Break Thermal Efficiency, Air fuel Ratio, BSFC(Break Specific Fuel Consumption), Exhaust gas Temperature against different loads.
Madhavi S. Harne, Milind A. Pelagade, Ramakant Shrivastava
Biodiesel, Diesel Engine, Performance, Emissions
- Bryan R. Moser "Biodiesel production, properties, and feedstock's", In Vitro Cellular& Developmental Biology Plant, 45, 229-266, (2009). DOI 10.1007/s11627-009-9204-z.
- Ashish Karnwal, Naveen Kumar, Mohd. M. Hasan, A.N. Siddique and Zahid A. Khan "Performance Evaluation of a Medium Capacity Diesel Engine on Thumba Biodiesel and Diesel Blends", Journal of Biofuels, vol. - 1, no. - 2, 172-181, (December 2010)
- Sharma YC, Singh B, "Development of biodiesel: current scenario", Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 13(6-7), 1646-1651, (2009),
- Balat M, Balat H. Progress in biodiesel processing. Applied Energy, 87(6), 1815-35, (2010).
- Patni Neha, Bhomia Chintan, Dasgupta Pallavi and Tripathi Neha, "Use of Sunflower and Cottonseed Oil to prepare Biodiesel by catalyst assisted Transesterification" Research Journal of Chemical Sciences, 3(3), 42-47, (March 2013).
- N. Stalin, H. J. Prabhu, "Performance Test of IC Engine using Karanja Biodiesel Blending with Diesel",ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 2 (5), , ISSN 1819-6608, (OCTOBER 2007)
- Avinash Kumar Agarwal, Sibendu Som, Pravesh Chandra Shukla, Harsh Goyal , Douglas Longman, "In-nozzle flow and spray characteristics for mineral diesel, Karanja and Jatropha biodiesels", Applied Energy 156, 138-148, (2015)
- P.K. Sahoo, L.M. Das, M.K.G. Babu, P. Arora, V.P. Singh, N.R. Kumar, T.S. Varyani, "Comparative evaluation of performance and emission characteristics of jatropha, ,karanja and polanga based biodiesel as fuel in a tractor engine", Fuel, 88, 1698-1707, (2009).
- Atul Dhar, Avinash Kumar Agarwal, "Performance, emissions and combustion characteristics of Karanja biodiesel in a transportation engine", Fuel 119, 70-80, (2014).
- Bhupendra Singh Chauhan, Naveen Kumar, Haeng Muk Cho, Hee Chang Lim, "A study on the performance and emission of a diesel engine fueled with Karanja biodiesel and its blends", Energy 56, 1-7. (2013).
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 6 | July-August 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-08-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 302-308
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173685
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Madhavi S. Harne, Milind A. Pelagade, Ramakant Shrivastava, "Performance Evaluation of CI Engine using Karanja Biodiesel as an Alternative Fuel", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 6, pp.302-308, July-August-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173685