Home > Archives > IJSRST18416
Improvement of Mechanical Properties of Concrete Using Fibers
Authors(2) :-Pramol Waychal, Dr. Nagesh Shelke
Fiber-reinforced concrete (FRC) is concrete containing fibrous material which increases its structural integrity. It contains short discrete fibers that are uniformly distributed and randomly oriented. Fibers include steel fibers, glass fibers, synthetic fibers and natural fibers .Each of which lend varying properties to the concrete. In addition, the character of fiber-reinforced concrete changes with varying concretes, fiber materials, geometries, distribution, orientation, and densities. The concept of using fibers as reinforcement is not new. Fibers have been used as reinforcement since ancient times. Historically, horsehair was used in mortar and straw in mudbricks. In the 1900s, asbestos fibers were used in concrete. In the 1950s, the concept of composite materials came into being and fiber-reinforced concrete was one of the topics of interest. Once the health risks associated with asbestos were discovered, there was a need to find a replacement for the substance in concrete and other building materials. By the 1960s, steel, glass (GFRC), and synthetic fibers such as polypropylene fibers were used in concrete. Research into new fiber-reinforced concretes continues today.
Pramol Waychal, Dr. Nagesh Shelke
Fiber reinforced concrete, types of fiber, Admixtures, concrete mix design M40, compression test, flexural test,
- Shende A. M. and Pande A. M. (2010) "Investigation and comparative study of properties of steel fiber reinforced concrete member", Proceedings of International Conference on Innovative world of structural Engineering at Govt. College of Engineering, Aurangabad".
- Ganeshan N, (2007) "steel fiber reinforced high performance concrete for seismic resistant structure" Civil Engineering and construction Review, December 2007, pg. 54-63.Bhikshma V, RavandeKishor and NitturkarKalidas (2005)" Mechanical properties of fiber reinforced high strength concrete „Recent advances in concrete and construction tech?6-8 Jan 2005, Chennai, pg. 23-33.
- Murthy Dakshina N R (2005) "Splitting tensile strength of high volume fly ash concretes with and without steelfibres in different grades" International conference recent advance on concrete and construction technology, Dec 7-9,2005.
- Balaguru P and Najm H (2004), "High-performance fiber reinforced concrete mixture proportion with high fiber volume fractions" Material Journal, volume 101, issue 4, July 1, 2004 pg.281-286.
- Tensing D,Jeminah and Jaygopal L S (2003) "Permeability studies on steel fiber reinforced concrete and influence of fly ash" National seminar on advance in construction materials,14-15 feb 2003.
- DamgirR.M.andIshaque M.I.M (2003) "Effect of silica fume and steel fiber composite on strength Properties of high performance concrete" proceeding of the INCONTEST 2003, Coimbatore,10-12 sept. 2003,pg.281-286.
- Raghuprasad .P.S, Rabindranath (2003) "Experimental investigation on flexural strength of slurry
Published in : Volume 4 | Issue 2 | January-February 2018
Date of Publication : 2018-02-28
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 12-16
Manuscript Number : IJSRST18416
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Pramol Waychal, Dr. Nagesh Shelke, "Improvement of Mechanical Properties of Concrete Using Fibers", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 4, Issue 2, pp.12-16, January-February-2018
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST18416